SchroedersKater
Member
Hi all,
After fiddling around with this problem (look here as well) I finally found a workaround that freed some 50 GB disk space from my VMs. This is how I did it:
- In the hardware configuration section of my VMs add a new hard disk to the VM.
- After that run the appropriate VM.
- Download and install a disk cloning tool like SuperDuper! or Get Backup. The trial version will be fine and sufficient.
- Inside the VM run one of the tools and backup (clone) your complete original hard disk to the new one.
- When finished shut down the VM.
- In the configuration tools of Parallels delete the original HD and move it to the trash (leave it there for a while in case something goes wrong).
Now you have a noticeable smaller VM file that should run immediately without a problem (don't forget to empty the trash later to get rid of the old disk image).
There are some minor inconsistencies that I noticed: Some programs like MS Office loose their registration data which has to be re-entered. But that was all I found out until today. Maybe someone has an idea how to get this transferred, too.
I'd like to hear about your experience as well! Thank you all!
After fiddling around with this problem (look here as well) I finally found a workaround that freed some 50 GB disk space from my VMs. This is how I did it:
- In the hardware configuration section of my VMs add a new hard disk to the VM.
- After that run the appropriate VM.
- Download and install a disk cloning tool like SuperDuper! or Get Backup. The trial version will be fine and sufficient.
- Inside the VM run one of the tools and backup (clone) your complete original hard disk to the new one.
- When finished shut down the VM.
- In the configuration tools of Parallels delete the original HD and move it to the trash (leave it there for a while in case something goes wrong).
Now you have a noticeable smaller VM file that should run immediately without a problem (don't forget to empty the trash later to get rid of the old disk image).
There are some minor inconsistencies that I noticed: Some programs like MS Office loose their registration data which has to be re-entered. But that was all I found out until today. Maybe someone has an idea how to get this transferred, too.
I'd like to hear about your experience as well! Thank you all!