How to get pdf's to open in Preview

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CarissaT, Feb 4, 2020.

1. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

I am trying to change my default program for opening pdf's in Windows to Preview in Mac OSX. However Preview isn't showing up in my list of applications. I have application sharing enabled and can see many other OSX applications including Acrobat Reader on Mac, but Preview is missing. It is in my application folder on my Mac and works fine from there. Alternatively if there is a way to always open a pdf on Mac that would accomplish the same thing as it is my default for pdf's on the Mac. I only use two Windows programs, Outlook 365 and Internet Explorer, that I try to open pdf's from and run into this issue.

2. ParkunanD@Parallels

ParkunanD@Parallels Member

Hi, please follow steps from this link and check if it works: https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v15/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/33332.htm

3. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

No it doesn't work, Preview is not even showing in the list of Parallels shared applications in Windows. All my other Mac applications are showing up there.

4. Hi, did you try to reinstall the Preview?
    Do you miss only the Preview?

5. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

Yes only Preview is missing, and the only way to reinstall is to reinstall the whole operating system as it's part of OSX so I don't want to do that, plus it works fine in Mac OSX.

6. Hi, could you please update to the latest Parallels Desktop 15 build (15.1.3) it has been released yesterday. And let us know how does it work for you.

7. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

I am using Parallels 14.

8. And what is your macOS version?

9. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

Catalina 10.15.3

10. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@CarissaT Parallels Desktop 14 is not fully compatible with Mac OS Catalina. Older Parallels Desktop versions only partially support working on macOS Catalina due to technical reasons may experience the issues below depending on the configuration. Please upgrade Parallels Desktop to the latest version to proceed further.

11. BrookeL1

BrookeL1 Bit poster

I, too, have this problem intermittently and randomly and I cannot figure out why. Sometimes restarting my computer helps. Sometimes it has no effect.

My computer is completely up to date, as is my parallels software. When I attempt to open a PDF file in Preview from Windows (either as an email attachment in Outlook or directly from Windows Explorer) I get the error "The file xxx couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File>Get Info."

When I select "Show in Finder" from the right-click menu in Windows, nothing happens. Finder does not open. When I actually go to the file through Finder and click "Get Info" the permissions settings are "Read & Write". There's no other option that provides greater access.

Sharing apps between operating systems is set correctly per the link above. I run everything in coherence. I only have this issue with PDFs so far. There's no other problem with using applications across platforms.

What is happening here? It's maddening.

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you add Parallels Desktop to Accessibility, Full Disk Access under Security and Privacy > Privacy on System Preferences and check.

13. BrookeL1

BrookeL1 Bit poster

Both Parallels Desktop and Parallels Toolbox are set to full disk access. I have already tried everything I've found in a google search.

14. BrookeL1

BrookeL1 Bit poster

Any other suggestions?

15. Hello, could you please share with us a screenshot of the issue/error/warning message?