How to get permission?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MajedM, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Westone

Westone Bit poster

"hostilizes me gratuitously " is a little extreme, but in any event please accept my apology, I am in no way being hostile toward you. And you are correct, your assumption was on another case, not my situation. But also, without any information as to the situation, you assume I am "messing about" and caused this problem myself, and in so doing have treated me with the same lack of reason and logic I did you. You certainly are knowledgeable enough to imagine that a circumstance might arise where one needs to deal with a sub-folder in the Program Files folder. In this case, due to a technical issue with PhotoShop, Adobe recommended an uninstall of the software, and when the uninstall routine failed to remove the program folder, recommended to manually remove it. And that's how I came to deal with the Permission Required issue. And this is solely within the Windows VM. This is a virtual drive within the VM and it is not visible from within OS X. Thus far I have still been unable to resolve this problem, but did get around it by re-installing to another custom folder. Perhaps you have a suggestion.

2. Fabio_Borghesi

Fabio_Borghesi Bit poster

THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME ! ! ! :)))
    1. I changed the setting about USB external in Parallels preferences.
    2. I have switched on Windows virtual machine on my MAC. And AFTER that i have plugged in the External HDD.

THANK YOU !! :)

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Good to know! :)

4. DavidR4

DavidR4 Bit poster

I need some help on knowing the steps to mount the USB drive in the manner described above. Your post only says what to do, not the steps in how to do it, please help me as I need to know what steps to take. This seems like an incredibly simple thing yet I have already spent hours on this.
    Thank you advance-
    -David

5. mustafae1

mustafae1 Bit poster

dear specimen thank u so much worked for me

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. Brandon13

Brandon13 Bit poster

I had the same problem. Basically it is because your external drive is mounted inside MacOSX, even though it can be seen inside Windows. SOLUTION: Unmount the drive from MacOSX by ejecting it. You may get a warning. Click on OK to eject/unmount. Now go to the Parallels Virtual Machine menu > DEVICES > USB/BLUETOOTH and click on the external drive. It should now mount in Windows and you should have permissions to write files to it/delete files.

7. Hello, do you have the same issue? Could you provide us with a bit more details please? What is your Parallels Desktop version?

8. Brandon13

Brandon13 Bit poster

Hi. Yes, I did. I'm using the current version although I'm fairly certain this will work for most. You're basically trying to edit a drive that is a windows drive that can be seen inside Parallels but is already mounted (or connected) to the Mac. The problem is is the files system cannot be connected to both Mac and Windows at the same time. Therefore you have to disconnect it from your Mac system by 'ejecting' or unmounting it. Locate the drive you want to use on your Mac desktop and drag this into the recycle bin to eject. Now go to the menu of Parallels (your Virtual Machine) and mount it inside Windows by doing what I mentioned in my previous msg. ie. Parallels Virtual Machine menu > DEVICES > USB/BLUETOOTH and click on the external drive. It should now mount in Windows and you should have permissions to write files to it/delete files.
    Hope this helps. Good luck !