How to get Windows XP to use VM extension?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by vas2fl, Jul 19, 2007.

1. vas2fl

vas2fl Bit poster

I created a VM extension, per the instructions, and it shows up fine as Drive E: However, I keep getting "out of space" messages because I want to install new programs and Windows wants to save them to the original drive C where my Programs file is (of course). Can Programs be installed from Drive E? Can I move Program files over to the extension Drive E, or can I create a second Programs folder in Drive E? I already moved over my Documents folder, but the problem is programs. Thanks if you can help.

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

What instructions? My virtual disk is winxp.hdd .. no "VM" extension.

Phil

3. vas2fl

vas2fl Bit poster

The KB has instructions on how to create a VM extension to add more hard disk space.

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Perhaps .. but without a link I can only guess at what statement you are referring to.

Phil

5. vas2fl

vas2fl Bit poster

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/27/133/

Required Steps:

In Parallels Desktop, open Macintosh HD > Applications > Parallels. Launch the ImageTool utility.

In Parallels Workstation, from the Start menu choose Programs > Parallels > ImageTool.

1. Parallels Image Tool starts. In the Welcome window click Next.
    2. Select Hard Disk to expand the size of your virtual hard disk.
    3. Select the Increase the size of the Virtual Hard Disk option and click Next.
    4. Click Browse to select the virtual disk drive to expand.
    5. By default virtual machines are stored in the following folder: Macintosh HD > Documents > Parallels.
    6. Specify the appropriate amount of memory in the New Size field. Click Next.
    7. Now the Image Tool is ready to run. Please verify the settings and click Start.
    8. The operation can take up to 5 minutes.(This depends on the amount of data already stored on your virtual hard drive in the guest OS).
    9. When the operation is successfully completed, click Exit.

Now you should partition the new space in the Guest OS. To partition the new space in Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista guest OSes, follow these steps:

1. Start the virtual machine with a Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista guest OS installed.
    2. From the Windows Start menu choose Run.
    3. Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Return to open Disk Management utility.
    4. Right-click (Ctrl-click) the Unallocated Capacity bar and choose New Partition from the shortcut menu.
    5. Click Next in the dialog box to continue.
    6. In the New Partition wizard select Primary Partition and click Next.
    7. Specify the new partition size and click Next.
    8. From the drop-down list choose a letter to be assigned for the drive, and click Next.
    9. Select Format partition. Make sure that the NTFS file system and the Default allocation size are selected. Specify the volume name and click Next.
    10. Click Finish to start formatting.
    11. The new volume will appear in the Disk Management window and in My Computer folder.

Troubleshooting:

Please keep in mind that using Image Tool only increases the hard drive itself, the partitions on it remain the same. You need to use some partitioning utility in the Guest OS to make the new space available. The example above describes using built-in Windows Disk Management utility, but you can also use some third-party partitioning solution for advanced partitioning like resizing your existing partition to a larger size instead of creating another one.

They have added this since the time I did this:

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/26/309/

6. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

So .. is your problem solved?

Note that with the new Build 4560 v. 3 now has Image Tool.

Phil

7. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

When you install most windows programs, the installer will often ask something like:
    If you choose "custom" then - a few screens later (after being given the option to not install bits of the package you don't need) - you should be asked for the destination folder. You can change this to save the program anywhere, including your new "E" drive. Its up to you to create a new "Program Files" folder if you want to.

Some software might not offer this option. Also, many programs will *still* need to write some files to C:/Windows, so if your C: drive is completely full you will still have problems (but you should not let your C: drive get more than 80%-90% full, or it will affect performance).

If you just try to copy software from "C:\Program Files" to drive "E:" then, in most cases, you will have to fish around in the Windows Registry to fix the references - not recommended. I believe that there are some utilities that offer to do this for you (I think you get one with PartitionMagic), but its probably safer to uninstall and re-install the software. If your C: drive is bursting at the seams I'd uninstall a bunch of stuff before re-installing it to E: