How to install Mavericks with Parallels 9

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by German Dude, Oct 30, 2013.

1. German Dude

German Dude Junior Member

Hello Forum

In case you would like to install Mavericks OSX 10.9 into Parallels Desktop 9 using the InstallESD.dmg file.

I just got off with the phone support and they confirmed my findings that Parallels 9 is not working with the DMG file.
    So if you want a Mavericks VM the only way is the 'Install from recovery partition' option at the moment.

HTH

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  3. canonballX

canonballX Bit poster

Hi there,

I created a bootable USB stick with Diskmaker X successfully, but I can't install Mavericks from that stick into a VM via USB.
    I'm guided through the setup assistant, but when it comes to the installation process it stops and tells me that the VM is empty.

Installing Mavericks from the Recovery Partition isn't working, too (iMac late 2012, which offers only recovery from internet).

Any help appriciated!

Thanks!

4. German Dude

Hey,

For a quick workaround it comes only into my mind to install Mountain Lion and than do an upgrade to Mavericks right away.
    Not the best solution I know...

HTH

5. canonballX

canonballX Bit poster

Would certainly give it a try, but I don't have a ML install file neither do I know where to get one. :-(

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Sounds like you have not created/assigned a virtual hard disk to the VM.

7. canonballX

canonballX Bit poster

I don't get what you mean?

I am guided through the installation wizard and when I adjust number of procs, amount of RAM, etc, I set the disk size to 64 GB. I assume you mean that?

8. German Dude

What is the exact error message?

9. canonballX

canonballX Bit poster

I run the german version, but translated it says:

In this virtual machine is no operating system installed.
    Please insert the installation CD of the operating system into the optical drive of your Mac and restart the virtual machine.

But I try to install Mavericks from a USB stick.

In the window behind the error message appear also some error messages for a second (which I can read only partly):

>DEV1 READ FAILURE
    >DEV1 READ FAILURE
    >DEV1 READ FAILURE

10. German Dude

11. German Dude

Essentially that is the same what I see when I use the InstallESD.dmg file.
    My guess is that Parallels 9 is unable to install Mavericks except from the recovery partition. My advice is open a support case and stress the problem. As more people complain about it as sooner they will fix it.

12. German Dude

Did you ever tried this for real? See post #9 from cannonballX in which he describe the same result/error I get when I use the InstallESD.dmg file.

13. German Dude

Potential solution how to do it

I think I found the reason why it is not working.

First of all Apple changed the EULA and it is not allowed to install Mavericks on more than one 'Computer'.
    However the real reason is that the InstallESD.dmg file from Mavericks is not bootable anymore.

Try the Mavericks workaround from this http://ntk.me/2012/09/07/os-x-on-os-x/ website and create a bootable version. In my case I still have the problem that Parallels 9 does not use EFI to boot the new bootable image.

However for cross reference reasons, ...
    ... I used trail VMware Fusion 6.0.1 and it worked fine.
    ... tried VirtualBox 4.3.2 but the boot ends in a kernel panic. Not sure why.

HTH

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That's not correct, the Mavericks EULA specifically permits virtualization:

Article 2, Section B:
    source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX109.pdf

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. German Dude

That is interesting because I found this here.

source: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm

So if yours is true than you should inform your fellow support people internally. So far all of them argue that it is not possible because of a change in licence from Apple. I guess someone has to ask Apple which of the SLA is now the one.

In consequence your method should work also and there is not real difference in method anymore. Either way you have to do a step in between to create a bootable installation medium before you can install Mavericks into a VM.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From my signature:
    [NOTE] I'm a Product Expert, that doesn't mean I'm affiliated with or work for Parallels.

Now that is out of the way.

The EULA link I provided is the Mavericks EULA, there isn't another version of it, that's the only version.
    But maybe you didn't read the EULA link I provided, so I'll paste the relevant bits.

2B has 3 dispositions:

If you think about it, i and iii aren't saying the opposite, they are saying something complementary, when you run a Mavericks VM in an OS X computer you are running 2 copies of OS X in one Apple-branded computer.
    But most importantly in disposition (i) is the word directly which means it's not in a virtual environment: "one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer".

When you run a Mavericks VM on Mavericks you are only using one copy directly on a Apple-branded computer.

If someone, anyone (even Parallels support), argues that (i) does not allow virtualization they haven't taken into account the word "directly" and they haven't read (iii).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  17. Flint_6

Flint_6 Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. I have a USB drive with Mavericks that is bootable. But Parallels 9 doesn't want to install from it. It get the message:
    • There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine. Please insert an operating system installation CD into the optical drive of your Mac and restart the virtual machine.

I get the same message when I try to install Mavericks from the Recovery Partition. It just doesn't work. This is a wizard so it should setup and connect all necessary drives as needed. Recovery Partition or USB Stick. But neither does work. Anyone heard more about this or knows a workaround to make this work? Is installing Mountain Lion the only option?

18. German Dude

Because the recovery partition way is not working it seems the only option for you.

HTH

19. Flint_6

Flint_6 Bit poster

Yeah. But let's see, I filed a ticket and now a problem report. Let's see what support has to say.
    In the first iteration they asked me to uninstall and re-install Parallels 9, which of course didn't help.

20. AMcWhirter

AMcWhirter Bit poster

I'r running parallels desktop 9 enterprise. I believe it is the same product, just with a support agreement.

Either way when i picked InstallESD.dmg the application asked me if i wanted to convert it to a bootable image and i clicked yes. Then it booted and install 10.9 perfectly. The only thing is that i picked the InstallESD.dmg file out of the APP itself.

So in other when i browsed for the install image i found the mavericks app, right clicked, show contents, then chose the image file. I believe you need the entire app to do this as it has a utility to create a bootable image built in.