how to install OpenGL

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Colin Holgate, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

How would I install OpenGL? I don't know what installer I would use, and I can't find any online. I'm not asking for hardware support, I can wait for a future update for that, but I have a couple of programs I want to run (Photoshop CS3 for example) that won't launch because I don't have OpenGL installed. I don't mind if it only runs 3D at 1 fps, there are many features in Photoshop that won't be using OpenGL at all.

2. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

I found my own solution. Putting the DLLs OpenGL.DLL and GLU32.DLL into the system32 folder is enough to fool applications into thinking that OpenGL is installed. PS CS3 and other apps that claim to need OpenGL now launch, and run fine.

3. jaseone

jaseone Junior Member

Forgive the stupid question but why do you want to run Photoshop CS3 under Parallels anyway? Why not just run it native in OSX?

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

maybe he already had the windows version and doesnt want to fork out the stack of cash for the OSX version ?? :)

5. rhind

rhind Member

I use OpenGL apps in WinXP and didn't have to do anything to get them working. OpenGL32.dll and glu32.dll are already in my windows\system32 folder. Not sure why yours weren't.

Cheers

Russell

6. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

Yes, mine was an odd XP install, and was missing those two files.

As for why PS CS3, I was really trying to get another program going and was trying to figure out why it wouldn't launch, and so tried Photoshop as a more demanding app to see if that helped me track down the first application's problem. As it turned out it helped a lot, because Photoshop gave the error about OpenGL not being installed, so that got me looking in the right area for missing DLLs. Once I had those two in place I could then load the original program I was trying to use.