How to migrate a virtual machine (Windows 7) from one Mac to another

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by YvesR1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. YvesR1

YvesR1 Bit poster

Because the Parallels Desktop application is EXTREMELY SLOW on my MacBook Pro, I am trying to migrate it to a new MacBook Air to see if it runs faster but unfortunately, I am unable to open the virtual machine (Windows 7) on my MacBook Air. I used the Migration Assistant and were able to migrate the applications and data from my MacBook Pro to my MacBook Air (both running macOS Sierra 10.12.6).

On the MacBook Air, the control center shows the terminal window with the following error "No boot device is available, press enter to continue".My client Mac addr; 00 1C 42 9D 0F 9F GUID: 2C18BD65-5895-4F8F-8735-26F10360AE70 PXE-E53: No Boot filename Received.
    I have a valid Window 7 licence and source code on a CD but my MacBook Air doesn't have a CD reader and the download from Microsoft doesn't work even when I try to create a USB key as a backup of Windows.

So my question is simple: How can I migrate the Windows 7 virtual machine from one my MacBook Pro to my MacBook Air?

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

YvesR1 likes this.
  3. YvesR1

YvesR1 Bit poster

This is very good - Thanks.
    Would you have any tips on how to improve the response time of Parallel and Windows. My original problem is simple: Parallel is EXTREMELY SLOW (we are talking minutes) to open windows applications suc as Quickbook or PowerBI.

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

5. YvesR1

YvesR1 Bit poster

Thank you once again for this quick response.
    I am concerned of spending money to upgrade my computer and see minimum changes on the performance. I have already spent money to upgrade from Parallel 9 to Parallel 12 and haven't seen any improvement while your advertising for this new version indicated a performance improvement. I will spend some time to read and follow your instructions and will even try it on my new MacBook Air (2017) to see if the performance is better. I might come back to this thread for more support - Thanks again for your support.

6. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @YvesR1 You're Welcome! We are always here to help you.

7. JamesR10

JamesR10 Bit poster

I am doing a MacBook pro HW refresh...will the Apple Migration assistant move my Paralles 13 over during the migration or is there anything else I will need to do?

8. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

9. JamesR10

JamesR10 Bit poster

By importing the Windows 10.pvm file that will bring all the Windows applications and setting just like it was?

10. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro