How to properly get rid of a DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by keithos27, Nov 5, 2013.

1. keithos27

keithos27 Member

Hi everyone. I have a new MacBook Pro Retina and bought the Apple USB SuperDrive so that I can install Windows 8.1 from a clean install DVD. I connect the USB DVD drive, insert the Windows 8.1 DVD, install Parallels Desktop 9, and then install Windows 8.1. Everything runs smoothly and Windows installs. I then shut down the virtual machine, quit Parallels, eject the Parallels installer image, eject the Windows 8.1 DVD, and disconnect the SuperDrive.

The next time I start Windows 8.1, however, I get an error that the CD/DVD drive no longer exists. What steps should I have taken to prevent that error message from popping up?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Keith,

You can unckeck connected select your vm>along the top near the apple select Virtual Machine>configuration>hardware>cd/dvd1 unceck Connected/

3. keithos27

keithos27 Member

Hi Kat

So I would do that step after shutting down my virtual machine for the first time and before turning the virtual machine back on?

Windows 8 won't be looking for a DVD drive again?

Keith

4. strells

strells Product Expert

Your VM, not Windows, thinks there's a drive as part of its hardware configuration. If you tell Parallels that it is disconnected, it will no longer complain about not being able to access it.

Steve

5. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Keith,
    Steve is correct about his statement it is the VM that is looking for the DVD drive, and yes, your vm should be should be shut down, I have included a picture with all the steps (but the drop down menu will disappear once you select Configuration).

screen-capture-12.jpg