How to properly shutdown Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Ernest1, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Ernest1

Ernest1 Bit poster

Hi,

Since day one after purchasing Parallels I've this issue on my Macbook Pro and Windows 11 (version 21H2). When I finish work I want to shutdown Windows, which works fine, but next morning when I click 'Resume' in Parallels Control panel I need to do this 5-15 times until I can get to Windows login screen.

First couple of times I just get black screen, then I can see Windows login screen, but can't type anything so I keep clicking on power button in Parallels Control Panel until I can eventually login. And this happens every morning without exceptions.

Is there a better/proper way to close Windows and Parallels?

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Normally (as I would on a physical device), I just choose Shutdown from the menu bar, but I suppose you could choose the same inside the OS. I really don't like to Pause/Resume something if I'm not coming back to it in a short amount of time, especially if you're shutting down / sleeping the Host OS.

3. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I played around when I first went back to Parallels again (this was when I purchased an M1 iMac and realized that there was no longer Boot Camp) with having the VM go into Suspend mode and it seemed to usually work without a hitch. But then when I realized that the actual Shutdown/Startup - at least on the M1 iMac - was so quick, that I just started going with shutting down Windows 11 and never really looked back at the Suspend option again. I have Parallels set that when I click on the Parallels icon in my Dock, it will automatically start my Windows 11 VM. But shutting down the Windows VM will not quit Parallels, so I have the option then of opening the Parallels Control Panel if I wish to check for a Parallels update or to change my VM settings.