How to re-set SmartSelect?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sharkez, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sharkez

sharkez Member

Since I've not received my "be one of the first" pre-order reg code, I'm still running a beta (4110) but I can not figure out how to re-establish file to application links so word documents, excel documents, etc. launched on the Mac side (via spotlight, pathfinder, finder, etc) launch the native mac application and not the windows application. Apparently when parallels is running it set those links so only one application is "recognized" and I told them to use the windows apps (when I was launching via the XP explorer.) See I have MS apps on both platforms.

But what i want is to occur is use the mac app when I launch in the mac environment, and use the windows app when I launch from the XP environment.

So how do I get it to do that? Or at least re-set the current behavior?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

There are 2 ways how to do it:

1. Run particular Windows application, right click on its icon in Dock and choos SmartSelect menu. Then define associations as you want. For example set all to Mac.

2. Click on menu Applications->Reset Windows Applications.

3. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

How do you STOP it from adding stuff to Open With on the Mac side???
    The security slider doesn't do it.
    I re-installed the tools without selecting SmartSelect yet it's still running?

I want this off at least on the Mac Side....

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You can use menu Applications->Reset Windows Applications to remove Windows app stubs from Mac side and clear it from OpenWith list.

But you can't prevent running Windows applications from adding to OpenWith list. We will maid such option in one of the nearest updates.

5. sharkez

sharkez Member

Andrew--
    Will we be able to get applications to recognize from what environment the file was launched? By that, I want the behavior I noted in my original post: Open with the application native to the environment the file is "double clicked" within. This means for example, that the same word document should launch Mac MSWord if clicked in a native mac app (Pathfinder, spotlight) but lauch XP MSWord if clicked in XP explorer.

IS that possible?

6. danieljhale

danieljhale Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Do I have to uninstall the version of Word I have running on XP so that double-clicking a Word document on the Mac side doesn't open Parallels?

7. MacManux

MacManux Bit poster

Nope, no need to uninstall Windows app

@danieljhale: no, you don't have to uninstall Word on the Windows side. As Andrew posts: Launch Word once under Windows so that it appears in the Mac Dock. Right click (or ctrl-Click) the WinWord dock icon, choose SmartSelect in the context menu, and check all boxes so that .doc files etc. always launch with the Mac Word application.

That's how it works. Not the greatest in terms of usability, but certainly works.