How to rename hdd files w/in virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by terryharpold, Nov 25, 2010.

1. terryharpold

terryharpold Bit poster

For testing and purposes of historical research, I've created several different virtual Windows machines for use on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.5, running Parallels Desktop 6), one each for Windows 95, 98, XP, and Vista. Some were created from scratch, some were the results of upgrades from the previous version of Windows.

The HDD files associated with these virtual machines have names like "BaseDrive.hdd" and "winxp.hdd". The problem is, these names aren't always appropriate, for example, the Vista vm's hdd is named "winxp.hdd", because it was created from an originally Win XP vm. It's mostly a cosmetic issue, but I'd very much like to rename all of my hdds so that they have the name of the OS version or something neutral, like "BaseDrive" -- it's annoying to see the "winxp.hdd" name listed in the configuration dialog for a Vista vm.

Is there a way to do this via the Mac Finder, by drilling down through packages, then changing names of hdds, tweaking some other files, and changing the default image for each vm?

TH

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi, terryharpold!

You describe almost all steps to solve your problem.
    I will just repeat them in the way I did, and it works (PD6):

1) Open VM configuration.
    2) Go to Hardware - HDD - Click "minus" button at the bottom. !Select Keep files here.
    3) Rename, using Finder, .hdd file in the bundle of VM (winxp.hdd to Vista.hdd for instance)
    4) In VM Hardware Configuration - Click "plus" button, select Hard Disk, Type "Existing image file" and in Location - browse to renamed .hdd
    5) Well, now you have same VM with changed hdd image name.

All will work now, but I must warn you about using snapshots:
    Snapshots contain config file copy at the moment when snapshot is created.
    So when you revert to snapshot, made when your hdd has an old name - it will not be found.
    To correct this - you must manually change lines in <VM bundle>/Snapshots/{snapshot UUID}.pvc files:

For example when changing from winxp.hdd to Vista.hdd - you must edit:

to