How to repair a HDD drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NickMHarvey, Jul 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. NickMHarvey

NickMHarvey Bit poster

Hello

I some how managed to corrupt a hdd disk that I would like to recover the information on. I read this post here https://forum.parallels.com/threads/hard-disk-image-corrupted.19446/page-3 and got as far as this message here when using pre_disk_tool check -hdd to check the disk:

Unable to perform the operation because the virtual machine that uses this disk is not stopped. Shut down the virtual machine and try again.

I was able to use a DiskDescriptor.xml file from an old disk but the problem was I increased size from 256 Gb to 512 Gb and then back to 256Gb when the snapshots consumed all the disk space.

I am hoping someone will be able to help me recover the situation as I have some work I had not backed up.

It looks as if (from the post referenced) that its possible.

Thanks

Nick

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect an additional technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide its 9-digit ID here.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

3. Samir3

Samir3 Bit poster

It look like my Windows 10 Vm is corrupt as I have spent the entire day trying to get it to work. I learned about Parallels Mounter in hopes that I can at least connect to my drives within the bad VM. Doesn't anyone know if this is possible; and if so, how can I go about doing so. Just getting some of my important data out would be invaluable. Of course the snapshots won't work to revert either. Thank you.
    I have found the Parallels mounter.app, just don't know to launch it to connect to the drives etc. Thanks

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    To use Parallels Mounter, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Locate the .pvm file of the virtual machine.
    Right-click on your virtual machine's and select "Show in Finder"
    2. Right-click on the corrupted Windows 10.pvm and select " Show Package Contents"
    3. Right-click on the harddisk.hdd and select Open With > Parallels Mounter.
    4. The Windows hard disks will be mounted an a connected external drive on Finder.
    You can browse through the User Account Profile to make the necessary backup.
    Thank you.