how to serve website from Windose and access them in Safari ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bmuyl, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bmuyl

bmuyl Member

Anyone can help ?

2. cajetanus

cajetanus Junior Member

Well, I've never served a Website from Windose, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

However, I do know how to do this with a Ubuntu Virtual Machine in Parallels.

1/ First make sure your webserver is working in your virtual machine - http://localhost should give you the Apache page for instance.

2/ open the terminal or command line and type:

ifconfig -a

(in Windows this command is : ipconfig /all ) (and please don't ask me why Windows wants to do this differently).

and note what it says - you need the IP of the 'ethernet' device if you are using bridged ethernet Networking. Here it is from my Virtual Machine, your results will probably be different :

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C4:E0:1D:F1:DC
              inet addr:10.0.1.3  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::2c4:e0ff:fe1d:f1dc/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:51960 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:40250 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:75109989 (71.6 MiB)  TX bytes:3244243 (3.0 MiB)
              Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1080

The IP is the number after 'inet addr:', that is to say 10.0.1.3.

3. Now go to your Safari browser and simply type in the IP:

http://10.0.1.3

You will then get the index page of your Parallels VM webserver.

Of course this is quite simplified. If you want to do domain lookups, virtual hosts, etc., you need to do some more work, perhaps with a hosts file, etc.

Hope this helps somewhat.

3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

Thanks, that worked for me.

Don't forget to turn off Windows firewall!

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

to do it in windows is about as easy, perhaps even easier.

Search the web and download a free mini web server. Alternatively you can download a binary for Apache under windows and install that.

Once it is running and installed, install your web files in the HTTPDOCs directory as directed by your web server.

One important note, make sure the Windows XP firewall is off or at least redirect port 80 so it can some inbound.

Depending upon how you are networking Parallels your VM can either have a private IP (host only networking I believe) or it can get it's own IP from the DHCP server of your router, OR best is to assign it some static IP that works in your router's subnet.

In your router direct all incoming port 80 requests to the static IP you assigned to the VM (or if dynamic... to whatever the dynamic IP is)

That is about it. From Safari if you http to the static or public IP of the VM you should get right in.