How to set up a Fedora Linux 38 arm64 Guest to use TPM in an apple M1 host?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AlejandroV1, Sep 12, 2023.

1. AlejandroV1

AlejandroV1 Bit poster

Hi all,

I am using Parallels Desktop Pro Versión 19.0.0 (54570) in an apple M1 architecture.

- I want to get a Linux Guest VM configured with TPM emulation to Boot a Fedora 38 Linux guest arm64 using secure boot.

Currently I am able by changing by hand the config.pvs file by adding the below to the <Hardware> tag:

<TpmChip dyn_lists="" Type_patch="1">
    <Type>201</Type>
    <Policy>3</Policy>
    </TpmChip>

And by adding the below to the <Startup> tag:

<Bios EfiEnabled_patch="" dyn_lists="">
    <EfiEnabled>5</EfiEnabled>
    <EfiSecureBoot>2</EfiSecureBoot>
    </Bios>

I got a message that the system cannot boot because Secure Boot rejected to start the OS.

That make me think that is working, but I don't understand why the system is not booting:
    - The shim module should allow to boot, because it is pesigned by Microsoft, and is the part which allow to load Fedora signed modules.
    - I am going to try to re-install to verify it could be because the current guest OS was installed with out the TPM emulation and secure boot.

My final goal is to get a VM that I could use as a laboratory to investigate and develop UEFI modules (I got that with qemu + edk2 tianocore but using x86_64 arch; I am wondering if something similar could be achieved by using a Parallels Desktop VM; if that wouldn't be possible, please let me know and I will put my effort by using qemu on an apple M1 chip and preparing something using edk2 tianocore to boot up a hello world UEFI application.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @AlejandroV1, the virtual TPM chip is supported for Windows OS only, but regrettably, not Linux. Why do you need a TPM chip in Fedora Linux?