How to ssh into raspberry PI from within my Parallels Desktop Ubuntu distribution

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NirS1, Jul 25, 2018.

1. NirS1

NirS1 Bit poster

Hello,

I have a Mac with Desktops Parallels installed, running an Ubuntu distribution.
    I have no problem ssh-ing into my PI from the Mac (the two are connected via an Ethernet cable).
    However, I don't know how to make the Ubuntu get access to the PI's IP address.
    Can anyone provide any leads on this? I am fairly new to networking...

My Ubuntu is connected via the Default Adapter (Bridged network) so both the Ubuntu and the Mac reside on the same subnet.
    This is indicated by the red rectangle in the screenshot.
    However, the Mac is connected to the PI via the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (blue rectangle in screenshot).
    If I choose that adapter, Ubuntu fails to connect...

Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Sounds like Shared Network should be an option for you.

3. AdamG11

AdamG11 Bit poster

I just wanted to bump this because I am having the exact same problem. To preface I am also new to networking like OP.

The goal is to ssh from the Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine into a Raspberry Pi that is connected to the computer over Ethernet. Most guides and information I can find explain how to go the opposite direction (from some external source into the VM). I have a static IP address setup on the Pi, sharing the same port number (first 9 digits of IP address) as the Ethernet card in my Mac desktop. From the MacOS I am able to communicate with the PI over ethernet.

Additionally, when I set the VM to bridged mode, and give it a static IP matching the first nine of the ethernet IP above, it can connect to the Pi over the ethernet. My issue with this configuration is that the VM then looses internet connectivity.

It seems to me like there should be some way to keep the VM in shared mode (keeping its internet connectivity and residence in the 10.211.55.X subnet), while still allowing it to connect to devices on another port (i.e. the 169.254.154.XXX address of my desktop ethernet card and the Raspberry Pi).

Again, I am a beginner in this realm, appreciate any help or pointers, and apologize for any big mistakes or errors in my understanding.