How to switch windows in Parallels 8

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bill Rising, May 14, 2013.

1. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

I have two guest OS's running at the same time.

I would like to switch between them without grabbing the mouse.

Typically, I would be able to hit cmd-` to do this, since both of the OS's are running within Parallels.

Unfortunately, cmd-` does nothing when working in a guest OS. Does anyone know either how to get it working, or an easy workaround?

Here are things which I investigated, but which are of no help:
    • Cmd-tab still switches between applications on the Mac side, but this is no help, because I want to switch between windows within Parallels.
    • Checking or unchecking the the 'Switch Windows' checkbox in the Application Shortcuts section of the Shortcuts tab of Parallels' preferences does not seem to change any behavior, either for cmd-` or for cmd-' (as it shows).
    • Changing the 'Send system shortcuts' setting in the System Shortcuts section of the Shortcuts tab of Parallels' preferences never gets cmd-` to get through to the Mac side and then to Parallels.

Any help would be much appreciated

2. CatalinaC

CatalinaC Bit poster

I'm having the same question. Did you ever find a shortcut to switch between windows within parallels? I have multiple word documents open and would prefer to use a shortcut vs using my mouse to switch between windows.

Thank you!

3. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Depends...

If you have multiple windows open within one emulated machine, run the machine in windowed mode (not coherence), and then you can use Windows' own switching tool (option-tab).

I've still not figured out how to switch between different OS's in different windowed environments.