How to upgrade to Windows 64 bit

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by DonaldM1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. DonaldM1

DonaldM1 Bit Poster

I have used Parallels with Windows 10 for several years now and it has worked very well. However I am looking at 3D printing, CAD and graphics programs and they all require the 64 bit version of Windows 10. I installed the 32 bit version when I first set up Parallels on my Mac. As I understand it, I would have to do a clean install to do this. I have read a few descriptions on the net about techniques to upgrade a 32 bit version of Windows 10 to 64 bit, but all your drivers and some existing software would also have to be updated. This sounds like an invitation to a lot of headaches. My setup works so well right now that I am reluctant to wreck it with a 64 bit upgrade. Any advice from the forum on the best way to do this?

Thanks
    DonM

2. Sathiya@Parallels

Sathiya@Parallels Staff Member

Hi DonaldM1. Please be informed that it is not possible to convert the 32bit OS to a 64bit. The only option is to perform a clean installation and you need to reinstall all the required programs once agian.

3. DonaldM1

DonaldM1 Bit Poster

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DonaldM1 , we will try performing it from our end and will let you know about the results.

5. VinnyC

VinnyC Bit Poster

I also wish to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit install to 64-bit. I understand a 'clean install' is required and I am OK with that. When I download and run the 'Create Windows 10 Installation media' (from the MS site) from within my Windows 10 32-bit VM it seems to only create the 32-bit version of the install media. The 64-bit version of 'Create Windows 10 Installation media' will not run from the 32-bit Windows 10 VM. If I use Parallels Desktop for Mac to 'Download Windows 10' it creates a 64-bit version but the 25 character license key from my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit install fails to activate.

Does "The only option is to perform a clean installation" mean I have to purchase a new Windows 10 license?

6. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @VinnyC did you try this
    Also for more info about purchasing new license please contact MS support, unfortunately we have no info about it.