How to upgrade to Windows 64 bit

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DonaldM1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. DonaldM1

DonaldM1 Junior Member

I have used Parallels with Windows 10 for several years now and it has worked very well. However I am looking at 3D printing, CAD and graphics programs and they all require the 64 bit version of Windows 10. I installed the 32 bit version when I first set up Parallels on my Mac. As I understand it, I would have to do a clean install to do this. I have read a few descriptions on the net about techniques to upgrade a 32 bit version of Windows 10 to 64 bit, but all your drivers and some existing software would also have to be updated. This sounds like an invitation to a lot of headaches. My setup works so well right now that I am reluctant to wreck it with a 64 bit upgrade. Any advice from the forum on the best way to do this?

Thanks
    DonM

2. Hi DonaldM1. Please be informed that it is not possible to convert the 32bit OS to a 64bit. The only option is to perform a clean installation and you need to reinstall all the required programs once agian.

3. DonaldM1

DonaldM1 Junior Member

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DonaldM1 , we will try performing it from our end and will let you know about the results.

5. VinnyC

VinnyC Bit poster

I also wish to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit install to 64-bit. I understand a 'clean install' is required and I am OK with that. When I download and run the 'Create Windows 10 Installation media' (from the MS site) from within my Windows 10 32-bit VM it seems to only create the 32-bit version of the install media. The 64-bit version of 'Create Windows 10 Installation media' will not run from the 32-bit Windows 10 VM. If I use Parallels Desktop for Mac to 'Download Windows 10' it creates a 64-bit version but the 25 character license key from my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit install fails to activate.

Does "The only option is to perform a clean installation" mean I have to purchase a new Windows 10 license?

6. Hi @VinnyC did you try this
    Also for more info about purchasing new license please contact MS support, unfortunately we have no info about it.