How to work with virtual server

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ApplePro, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ApplePro

ApplePro Bit poster

I want to install Fedora 7 server with Parallels for Mac and use it as virtual server for developing website.

The question is how to work with this server from Mac? What IPs I should use to access Apache, SSH, FTP services.

2. twostraightlines

twostraightlines Bit poster

1. In Bridged Networking mode, assign your virtual server a fixed address on your network. Use this fixed address to access your server. Others on the network can also access your server.

2. In Shared Networking (NAT) mode, assign your virtual server a fixed address in the range Parallels is using for Shared Networking. You can find the range on the Network tab of Parallels' Preferences. In this configuration, only your Mac (and any other VM running on it) can access the server.

3. ApplePro

ApplePro Bit poster

Thanks for the answer.

I have no option other than Bridged Networking.

How can I do it? Is there any tutorial?

4. fromans

fromans Member

What he meant was that you set your Parallels to use Bridge networking, then assign a static IP address in your virtual machine that is in the same subnet as your network. In this way, your virtual machine will appear on your network just like any other device. I'm not too familiar with Fedora but I would start with the "ifconfig" command when you go to assign it an IP address.