Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 R2 | Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mason2, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Mason2

Mason2 Bit poster

Hi, all -

I spent the last 5 hours wrestling with this on a Macbook Air running Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition, attempting every suggestion I could find online to get my Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard to boot after adding the Hyper-V feature. Note, everything worked perfectly UNTIL adding the Hyper-V feature, at which point Windows Server 2012 R2 got stuck at a black screen after its restart and refused to boot no matter what I tried (disabling USB 3.0, running "bootsect /nt60 all /force", adding Windows features back in via DISM, using bcdedit, etc.) Nothing worked and it just kept launching the automatic repair tool. I am also under the belief that you should have your VM configured to use 1 processor with Nested Virtualization enabled (obviously, per the documentation).

It turns out, installing Hyper-V from an elevated Powershell prompt and RESTARTING from the prompt is somehow different than installing it via the Server Manager GUI. Don't ask me why.

Hopefully this helps someone else out:

Import-Module servermanager
    Add-WindowsFeature Hyper-V
    Install-WindowsFeature Hyper-V-Tools
    Restart-Computer

Important note: Do not run Add-WindowsFeature Hyper-V -restart. Run the above with the Restart-Computer cmdlet instead.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016