Hyper-V on M2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DimitrisG1, Apr 28, 2023.

1. DimitrisG1

DimitrisG1 Bit poster

Hello Guys,
    I recently purchased an M2 MacBook Air. On my work PC, I run Hyper-V. Is it possible with the current version of parallels to install the software I work under hyper-v windows? If no, when do you think it will be available?

Thanks
    Dim

2. JasonG01

JasonG01

Best Answer
    The M2 chip includes arm 8.4 FEAT_NV2 (enhanced nested virtualization support). However, Apple has not yet included support for it in their Hypervisor framework (which the Virtualization API wraps). (This is the HV Parallels on M1/M2 is using). The Linux kernel is close to including support so first chance to utilize it might come through dual booting a Linux host for NV.

3. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Nested virtualization on M2 Macs is primarily a hardware limitation of the M2 chip rather than a software limitation that could be resolved through a simple update from Apple or Parallels.
    The M2 chip, based on the ARM architecture, does not natively support nested virtualization.
    Nested virtualization on M2 Macs is not supported due to the hardware limitations of the M2 chip. However, it's worth noting that hardware capabilities and software advancements may evolve over time, so it's always recommended to check for the latest updates and announcements Parallels regarding virtualization features on M2 Macs by subscribing to this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/125195

Thank you.

4. DimitrisG1

DimitrisG1 Bit poster

Thanks Avinash for the valuable info.
    I just subscribed to this article.

Avinash Bundhoo likes this.
  5. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

I asked apple and they said that "The M2 introduced Nested Virtualization support".
    Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 2.47.08 PM.png

Attached Files:

Boh2 likes this.
  6. Boh2

Boh2 Bit poster

@Avinash Bundhoo is there any chance to see nested virtualization added to Parallels anytime soon?

7. JasonG01

JasonG01

Best Answer
    The M2 chip includes arm 8.4 FEAT_NV2 (enhanced nested virtualization support). However, Apple has not yet included support for it in their Hypervisor framework (which the Virtualization API wraps). (This is the HV Parallels on M1/M2 is using). The Linux kernel is close to including support so first chance to utilize it might come through dual booting a Linux host for NV.