Hypervisors and host hardware

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Slyph, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Slyph

Slyph Bit poster

First, i would just like to say, the beta looks very promising. Anxious for the final version!

I thought that a hyper-visor saw the real hardware. I noticed that the guest os emulates a Pentium II. Is Parallel always going to emulate hardware? Will it be possible to run a guest OS directly from a host partition or will the vm be able to utilize the host hardware without emulating hardware? Will the virtual os's see the apple burner as the real apple burner? (That would be good and bad, good that it can access the hardware directly, but bad because its apples hardware and they do not make driver for other os's.) From a gamer's point of view, will DirectX access to the video card directly?

I see a need for both vm's and dual booting, but i don't want to install windows 2x or waste 10Gb of hard drive space from a install that can run on the hard drive and then another 10 - 20 Gb to have the ability to run windows/linux utilities from within os x. If your software can do that; I'm sure most people would agree that virtual computers are a lot more convenient then dual booting (i personally HATE dual booting) and would be the killer nail!

This is nothing new with dual booting and vm's, its always about convenience vs power. Hopefully, Parallels Virtual Machine can provide convenience and full power.

Thank you for your time, keep up the great work on the software.