I can't get any sound on linux and there is only a dummy adapter?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PerA4, Apr 18, 2021.

1. PerA4

PerA4 Bit poster

Latest parallels 16 and MacBook AIR m1 running ubuntu 20.04 as guest. The ubuntu that comes as an install option in parallels. Toolbox installed. I cant get any sound from linux and i have tried different settings in parallels. What could be wrong?

2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

What have you configured in "Hardware" -> "Sound" settings for your VM? When you run your VM, there is a toolbar in the upper right corner of the window title. In that toolbar, there is an icon of a speaker -- if you click on that icon a drop-down menu will appear. In that menu, check that the correct output is selected (an not the "DIsabled" option, then click on "Configure..." and ensure that in your VM settings you have "AC'97" as the Type in "Advanced Settings".

If all of this is configured correctly and you still have no sound, you need to check your VM's configuration (e.g. check `dmesg` for errors, check that ac97 modules are loaded, etc.).

3. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

Oh, you are on the fancy MacBook -- I don't know how good Parallels Desktop is on M1 :(. I plan to purchase one, but am still waiting for x86 support from Parallels on that hardware (the majority of my VMs are x86).

4. Crisp

Crisp Bit poster

Advanced Settings is missing in the newest Version 16.5 !!! I want Sound in Linux!

MichaelU5 likes this.
  5. Crisp

Crisp Bit poster

Just found out that it is actually not supported on M1 :confused::(

6. Ayushg

Ayushg Bit poster

Hey, I'm using kali linux 2021 and I too ain't getting any sound. I was thinking of buying parallels pro, but if it doesn't provide sound support on m1 then I have to reconsider. Does any one know when and if parallels will fix this?
    Thank you.

7. Crisp

Crisp Bit poster

So with BETA 17 now there is finally Sound in (Ubuntu) Linux on my MAC M1 :D:D:D

Ayushg likes this.
  8. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan Bit poster

Even I face the same issue, with Paralles 16.5 running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on M1 MacBook Pro. I was thinking to get the license and this issue makes me concerned.

9. Ayushg

Ayushg Bit poster

When is 17 gonna be released you know that?

10. Crisp

Crisp Bit poster

sorry but I think it will take some time to get it final... but it works on my machine very good with Ubuntu Linux and Windows 10 ARM ... I got emailed from Parallels as I also started with BETA 16.5 so maybe you join the BETA Program and help it ;-)

Ayushg likes this.
  11. Ayushg

Ayushg Bit poster

Yeah that's a good idea. I guess I will :)