I can't hide the windows taskbar anymore

rprice54

Bit poster
Using Parallels 6, I was having some problems with installing a program so I changed my view from coherence to a window, did what I had to do, and changed back to coherence. I didn't change anything (that I'm aware of) but now I have the windows taskbar at the bottom of my screen and I can't get rid of it. When I go to View--> Hide windows taskbar, it's grayed out. I've tried changing to crystal mode but it's still there.

What am I missing? I liked it better when I had the Start icon in my dock and no taskbar.
 
I have the same issue and nobody seems to answer. I cannot get rid of the Windows Taskbar in Coherence mode in Parallels 6.
 
Same issue.

In coherence mode the taskbar is visible and the Win start menu is not placed in the Mac dock. When the VM has focus, the taskbar View options are disabled:
2011-01-31-parallels-taskbar.png


I have reinstalled Parallels Tools, no change.

The issue occurs only on Win XP, everything works as expected with my Win7 vm.
 
Deleting the taskbar in Parallels 6 coherence

I was able to remove the task bar within the windows xp taskbar control panel by setting it to autohide.
It does not reappear under OS X functions.
You do loose the windows start button on the lower left corner but its available either in OS X task bar or from the top menu parallels icon.
 
I was able to remove the task bar within the windows xp taskbar control panel by setting it to autohide.
It does not reappear under OS X functions.
You do loose the windows start button on the lower left corner but its available either in OS X task bar or from the top menu parallels icon.

Yeah I'm doing this for now, unfortunately the whole taskbar does flicker & reappear every couple of minutes which is quite distracting & annoying.

Be nice if the old Parallels hide taskbar option was fixed/came back in an update.
 
After my copy/paste started working, I tried something new and it fixed both copy/paste and the taskbar issue:

1 - uninstall parallels tools from the win control panel
2 - restart (I did a system update, I had a .NET framework update, not sure if this changed anything)
3 - reinstall parallels tools

I think/hope uninstalling it first did the trick. I was previously doing Virtual Machine > Reinstall Parallels Tools without first uninstalling.

And then I took a snapshot just in case.

Windows is such a pain :/
 
Last edited:
Just tried that: uninstalling and re-installing parallels tools, turn off taskbar, switch to coherence view...... didn't work. taskbar still present in coherence view.

Please will someone fix this. At least tell us it's a known bug and on a bug list to be fixed.
 
Back
Top