I can't run mkimage on shared folders of host OS

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AlbertH1, Dec 29, 2017.

1. AlbertH1

AlbertH1 Bit poster

Hi, all,

This is an issue that bothers me for a long time. I've just downloaded Parallels 13 to try this issue, and it still exists.
    I've encountered such issue for two programs, one is mkimage from U-Boot, the other is CEVA compilers, which are not available to everyone. I guess fixing issues for mkimage would fix the other.
    My guest OS is: Ubuntu Linux 16.04 Desktop

Anybody knows how to solve it? Or maybe Parallels should fix it, because VMware works perfectly for this case.

2. JueriP

JueriP Bit poster

There are several ways file can be ued. Mostly it is just usual open, move rw pointer, read or write block of data and close. There are however alternative more esoteric ant rarely used methods like mapping file to memory array via pointer. Not all methds are implemented correctly in Parallels that is why some tasks fail unexpectedly. You can try strace to see what syscall fails but sometimes it does not help because open may succeed but somewhare along the access things go south. Solution here is to extend disk file based space for VM and compile there or use some unix sharing like nfs. It also helps to check access speed with dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile3G bs=1M count=3000 for 3G fle write. Do it in host and guest. Check speed differences between host and guest NFS, shared folders and disk file based area.