I have Parallels installed on Window & what to do about antivirus?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ArdeliaR, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ArdeliaR

ArdeliaR Bit poster

I have Parallels installed on Window & what to do about antivirus? I have a subscription to Avast, and Parallels offers Internet Security suite for windows, but not Mac? I'm confused because does that mean I have to buy two separate licenses eventually for one machine with two different OSes???

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ArdeliaR, Parallels provide you with the opportunity to install a virtual machine and any operating system inside the virtual machine, but like on any other computer you need to protect yourself from any malware. So, we would like to recommend you to install any security software in your virtual machine.

3. DananW

DananW Bit poster

I understand the question: "what anitvtrus use", isn't it? I also wonder what do you recommend about anti-virus

4. DananW

DananW Bit poster

5. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Dear PaulChris, I found this conversation about antivirus software, do I understand right, if there is a Antivirus software on Mac you recommend also to add a second antivirus software on Parallels?
    I agree security first but but how can I avoid to slow down the computer if there are running two securty softwares on the computer?
    is there not a solution with one software that covers the complete system? and if not what do you recommend for Mac and Windows?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RachelL1, yes. You are correct. Parallels Desktop for Mac runs guest OS in special virtualized environment that emulates entire computer. This virtualized computer is as vulnerable to viruses as an usual PC running Windows. We highly recommend you to have antivirus (AV) software installed in the guest OS.

Please be aware that although computer viruses and similar malicious software cannot affect Mac OS X itself, it may corrupt Shared Folders content which is accessible from Windows side, so we recommend that you avoid storing any important data there (or at least create backups).

Unfortunately, no. The recommended antivirus software for Parallels virtual machines is Kaspersky Internet Security. You may also install any preferable antivirus software compatible with the version of Windows OS you are running in virtual machine.