i no longer get an internet connection (osx with winxp vm)

cantonelli

Bit poster
when i first installed parallels i had my imac on a wireless router and it worked beautiful, now its directly hardwired to my cable modem and i get NO connection.

the closest i can get is when set to host only - i can get a connection but its not enough to open a web page (time outs over and over again), but when i first installed parallels i was able to connect at full t3 speeds, now plugged into my modem im lucky to get 10kbps. when bridged i get nothing at all. (my last known successful connection was while set to bridged w/airport)

any suggestions??

intel core duo imac
osx
parallels desktop for mac 1922 rc2


thank you,
-Christian A. Antonelli
info@christianantonelli.com
 
Please use search next time....



---------------------------------------

My experience after reading this thread and following some of the advice.

After upgrading to Leopard, I launched Parallels build 5160 and got a message about the file system timing out. But it looked like it worked so I kept going. Everything seemed normal until I tried to get on the web. I couldn't get to a web page or even ping one of the computers on my network. I changed the network adapter from Shared Networking to Default Adapter and I could access the network normally. One thing that didn't work well was Windows Media Player. Videos were very jerky.

After a reboot, I had to switch the adapter setting again, so I figured I would try to reinstall. I had been having trouble with 5160 anyway and somewhere on this forum someone recommended to uninstall/install for that so I figured what the heck. I did that and Parallels wouldn't start at all.

So I decided to fall back to build 4560. That went smoothly. When I started it up, I got the same message about the file system timing out. WMV still is jerky, but the networking works without having to change anything. So I'll stick with 4560 for now.

You'd think that the Parallels folks would have let users know if 5160 wasn't ready for Leopard... More than that, you'd think that they would have gotten it to work BEFORE Leopard was released. Let's hope they get their act together soon. I really depend on this software!

Mike
 
Default Adapter is what needs to be changed. I changed to en0 ethernet adapter and now my internet connection works fine (prior to that it was having trouble finding IP addresses; if I joined my VPN, it would find addresses linked before I joined the VPN but not after; very strange behavior, but cured with the en0 change). Also getting that FILE warning sometimes but not always. I think TIME MACHINE may be a problem since it is trying to track the guest as a single huge file
 
ive tried everything mentioned in these forums and in the faq's - if anyone has an alterative solution, please - i would love to run parallels but its only use in my situation is if i can access the web at hi speed.

if it matters, everytime i close parallels all network settings reset themselves, i found that to be odd
 
cantonelli,

Firstly, why are you running an RC?

Secondly, what kind of networking are you using?

ok, i did an update - now im running build 3214
i have cable internet; modem directly into imac - no routers, hubs, wireless devices etc... and yes, still no internet in VM
 
Back
Top