I want to upgrade to Lion.. have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MikeMo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

I am running an XP(SP3) VM in Parallels 6.0.11990... everything has been fine, but id like to take the plunge and upgrade my work iMac to Lion.

My question:

If I upgrade to Parallels 7 and my Mac to Lion, if things go horribly wrong, can I just restore my Mac from a TimeMachine backup?

Does restoring the system from a TM backup really put everything in its proper place? I know that sounds paranoid, and I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work, but I don't want to spend hours just to have everything mucked up.

I guess another option would be to do a full backup with Carbon Copy Cloner prior to the updates, and restore from that if I cant get Lion and P7 to play well together.

I have only updated Parallels once.. and I spent hours getting everything to work again (ultimately reverted to TM backup of VMs and P6)... so I am a little paranoid.

I am interested in upgrading to Lion because I can use some of Lion Server's features (multi VNC connections).

Also, does Parallels 6 work well with Lion? Iv'e read many of the threads here, but if we all based our upgrade decision off of support forum posts, we'd never have the guts to upgrade ;)

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

If everything went right with your backups you should be able to restore from TM at the time you set up your Mac. Test it: Just take your Snow Leopard DVD, start from it and try what full image you're offered.

When Lion came out, Parallels released a new build of 6. I had only minor problems with it - an animation that didn't work and something like that. I run two VMs, one with XP SP 3, one with Win 7.

3. emental

emental Junior Member

Time machine will not restore you from Lion back to Snow Leopard. So you should go with Carbon Copy Cloner or similar software that makes disk copy at block level.

4. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

If everything went right with your backups you should be able to restore from TM at the time you set up your Mac. Test it: Just take your Snow Leopard DVD, start from it and try what full image you're offered.

When Lion came out, Parallels released a new build of 6. I had only minor problems with it - an animation that didn't work and something like that. I run two VMs, one with XP SP 3, one with Win 7.

5. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Ehem, to clarify this - if you made a TM backup with SL you should be able to use that backup with SL as long as it was not used by TM (Lion). After the first time TM under Lion accessed the backup file SL cannot use it anymore. So for safety, deactivate TM before upgrading to Lion, unplug your external HDD or use another external HDD and store the old one as long as you're not sure about staying with Lion.