\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vpchat, Apr 18, 2007.

1. vpchat

vpchat Bit poster

I had a hard crash. Windows was corrupted, as was Parallels. I've reinstalled and re-upgraded Parallels, but I can't get Windows to install. I insert the CD, enter the key code, setup begins, and I get this error:

\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
    the error code is 7
    Setup cannot continue

I looked it up, and found this page on the microsoft site, telling me I either need to mess with the BIOS or replace some faulty RAM.

Any suggestions?

Everything else on my Mac is working fine, so it's not the RAM...

Is it a Windows problem? a Mac problem? a Parallels problem?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Take a look at the surface of your Windowx CD. Are there any significant scratches? Is it clean? If so, try washing it gently w/soap & water and see if things improve. If it's scratched you may need to get a replacement. CDs are easily damaged and we often discover this inconvenient fact at the least convenient time.

3. titetanium

titetanium Member

If possible, wipe the cd clean with a clean cloth. If you're using linux or mac osx, try to open a terminal and run
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hd(x) of=/home/user/winxp.iso bs=1M
    where (x) is the letter of the cd-rom device. That command makes a copy of the cd to an iso file that you can use to install XP with in Parallels. If that method works, burn yourself a new cd from the iso you just made.