iMac 5k 27" 5120x2880 resolution issue in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by JohnS36, Nov 6, 2017.

1. JohnS36

JohnS36 Bit Poster

What I have:
    • iMac 27" 5K (Radeon Pro 580 8 GB)
    • MacOS 10.13.1
    • Parallels Desktop 13.1.1
    • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS virtual machine
    • Latest Parallels Tools installed in Ubuntu successfully.
    The problem.
    1. The highest resolution I get in Ubuntu is 2560x1440. Retina Resolution setting in Parallels Desktop is set to "Scaled" and it is scaled very well, but I don't have clear graphics, it's really blurry.
    2. If I switch Retina Resolution setting in Parallels Desktop to "More Space", Ubuntu gets 5120x2880 resolution, I can see more clear text and graphics, but all interface elements become super small, really impossible to use. Yes, I can go to Ubuntu Screen Display settings and increase scale for menu and title bars, increase font sizes, but some applications won't scale and look awkward.
    The result I look for:
    • I need 5120x2880 resolution in Ubuntu but it should be scaled normally, like it's 2560x1440. Just the way it works in Mac OS, and it does work this way if you run Windows X in Parallels Desktop (it's scaled well and it's very clear). Right now I have to use blurry Ubuntu, because I need all applications to display correctly without forcing it to scale using Ubuntu.

Obi-Wan likes this.
  2. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Bit Poster

Hello,

Were you ever able to obtain Retina resolution on Ubuntu? I have Resolution: Scaled set in the Graphics section of the Parallels VM configuration. I also tried changing the resolutions in Ubuntu, but it still displays as if it is a non-retina display. (For example, for my MBP, Ubuntu will display at regular 1440x900 instead of 1440x900 retina (2880x1800).

EDIT: I noticed the post above mentioned increasing the scale in settings; In Displays I set the resolution to the max available (for some reason it is 2560x1440 in Ubuntu), and then adjusted Scale for menu and title bars accordingly. For some applications this works fine, but for others (as the above post indicates) it looks strange, since the text on those applications will not resize.

Parallels Desktop Pro 13.3.0/macOS 10.12.6 (host)/Ubuntu 16.04.3 (guest)/Parallels Tools

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. JohnS36

JohnS36 Bit Poster

Yes, I use Ubuntu in Full Screen mode successfully now.
    In Parallels settings for my Ubuntu virtual machine I choose Retina Resolution -> More Space
    and yes, you should go to Screen Display settings in Ubuntu and choose to double the menu and title bars.
    Some outdated applications in Ubuntu may not scale properly, but you just live with it :) Most of them allow to increase fonts within application.
    the main thing - you get true Retina anyway, no blurry stuff anymore

Obi-Wan likes this.
  4. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Bit Poster

Hello,

I was able to adjust the resolution from the Parallels menu to 2880x1800, by clicking the red parallels icons in the macOS toolbar, then going to View ---> Set Resolution. I then went back to Ubuntu and changed the scale back to 2x. As you mentioned in your post, some applications may not scale properly (for example, Anaconda Navigator text is still extremely small, and I'm not sure if there is a way to enlarge it). While it is better than nothing, I would expect native Retina to work in Ubuntu in Parallels.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018