iMac 5k 27" 5120x2880 resolution issue in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Nov 6, 2017.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Obi-Wan likes this.
  2. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Hello,

Were you ever able to obtain Retina resolution on Ubuntu? I have Resolution: Scaled set in the Graphics section of the Parallels VM configuration. I also tried changing the resolutions in Ubuntu, but it still displays as if it is a non-retina display. (For example, for my MBP, Ubuntu will display at regular 1440x900 instead of 1440x900 retina (2880x1800).

EDIT: I noticed the post above mentioned increasing the scale in settings; In Displays I set the resolution to the max available (for some reason it is 2560x1440 in Ubuntu), and then adjusted Scale for menu and title bars accordingly. For some applications this works fine, but for others (as the above post indicates) it looks strange, since the text on those applications will not resize.

Parallels Desktop Pro 13.3.0/macOS 10.12.6 (host)/Ubuntu 16.04.3 (guest)/Parallels Tools

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Obi-Wan likes this.
  4. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Hello,

I was able to adjust the resolution from the Parallels menu to 2880x1800, by clicking the red parallels icons in the macOS toolbar, then going to View ---> Set Resolution. I then went back to Ubuntu and changed the scale back to 2x. As you mentioned in your post, some applications may not scale properly (for example, Anaconda Navigator text is still extremely small, and I'm not sure if there is a way to enlarge it). While it is better than nothing, I would expect native Retina to work in Ubuntu in Parallels.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018