"Image tool is unable to read the format of the hard disk file you selected"

shmork

Bit poster
So I'm running the latest build on a MacBook with an XP guest operating system with a FAT32 harddisk.

And I can't expand the virtual disk. Image Tools gets 90% through and then craps out on me, saying, "Image tool is unable to read the format of the hard disk file you selected. Please choose another image file to proceed."

I tried compressing and trying again. No dice. Nothing seems to work. Please tell me what to do. I saw a reference to this being a recognized bug five months ago. Surely you have fixed it since then? Because I can't expand my virtual disk. Which is crippling to my productivity. And I've just wasted two hours trying to fix it to no avail.

So what do I do. Come on guys. Throw me a bone. Remind me why I use your software and not someone else's.
 
Last edited:
Backup VM, and convert c: partition to ntfs
in Windows
Start run cmd
convert c: /fs:ntfs
Try to expand again.

Alternative solution is to add additional drive to VM
 
I am having the exact same problem. I can confirm that conversion to NTFS, then expansion works...at least for me.

Problem is, I do NOT want convert and take the overhead hit of NTFS to run just single Windows program or two. Plus, certain programs stopped working after the conversion.

This was condemned as a bug in the recent past and is apparently? not fixed. Is this still classified as a bug in Image Tool and will be rectified at some later date?

Possibility of other work-arounds? I am searching for a way to avoid conversion of the .hdd to Q/QEMU to VirtualBox to get past this issue.

Looking for any assistance. Thanks.
 
I understand the benefits of NTFS. I do not want the overhead. FAT32 has served me well the last few years. I would like for Image Tool to work as it has in the past for expanding the FAT32 .hdd that I presently have.

Asking the question again...

This was condemned as a bug in the recent past and is apparently? not fixed. Is this still classified as a bug in Image Tool and will be rectified at some later date?

Possibility of other work-arounds?
 
Thank you for the response. I will hold on and wait for the developers to work through the issue then. Size is not quite critical for me yet.
 
Back
Top