Image Tool problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by rs37, Apr 17, 2006.

1. rs37

rs37 Member

I have an EcS 1.2 installation cd that boots without problems. I created an image file with Image Tool from Parallels Linux version but the VM can't boot from the image. I tried again, Image Tool says it´s ok, but VM can't boot from the file. Now, I have created the same image file with Image Tool from Windows version of Parallels and the VM boots from the image without problems. I tried this image file with VM on Linux and it works. So, I think Image Tool on Linux needs to be fixed.

2. rs37

rs37 Member

By the way, are there means to post verify the integrity of the image file created with Parallels? For example, I used to use Paragon Drive Backup to do backups of my partitions and I always run a verification of image file integrity.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting about Image Tool issues - we'll investigate it.

4. rs37

rs37 Member

I did some more tests with the above cited image files and my conclusion was they are equal, there are no differences. So, should not be wrong with Image Tool!

At this point, I've noted that when creating a new Virtual Machine with the "Typical" option, a CD/DVD-ROM drive is put by default as slave on the first IDE controller. This is the point, this condition is necessary to boot from CD/DVD's.

Real machines don't have this limitation. Modern BIOS allows booting from CD/DVD's on drivers installed in the second IDE controller as master and even as slave (if a master is present) if correctly configured.

I know, there are some mentions in the manual about selecting 0:1 in the "Connecting to" list for the CD/DVD-ROM drive but the fact that is a necessary condition for booting from should be emphasized. This is my sugestion.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Yes - you are correct. This limitation comes with our Tiny BIOS and we are going to eliminate it in future versions.