Image Tool - some problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Roaster, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Roaster

Roaster Member

Hi,

I made a Windows XP Pro image using PWS 2.1, with a hard disk image of about 4096 MB in size of type expanding disk

Some days later I've used the Image Tool to enlarge this disk to exactly 10.000 MB which was done w/o any problems. PWS now shows, in the configuration dialog, a hard disk image of exactly this size.

After booting this image I checked the size in the Window Explorer and it still shows an approx. size of about 3.99 MB total disk space instead of the 10.000 MB.

What went wrong with the Image Tool or better the image?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Image Tool just resizes your disk and add unpartioning space at the end of the disk. After running Image Tool you have to run some partitionin tool inside guest OS - like Partition Magic to resize your partitions. Our you can create one partition on unartitioning space.

3. Roaster

Roaster Member

Andrew,

silly me, I just realized the same using the disk manager of Windows XP and afterwards I booted with Acronis Disk Director to resize the initial partition.

Thanks,

4. PGHammer

PGHammer Junior Member

Not all guests like the Expanding Disk

The Expanding Disk is the default; however, some guest OSes (notably, OS/2) won't install on them. For OS/2, select a *plain* hard disk (if you have either version 4.98 or later of IBM's IDE HD driver or Daniela's alternative, there is no limit to the size of the drive except the physical limits of the real drive; however, OS/2 has an 8 GB partition ceiling in the case of Warp 4). I have my Warp V4 guest with a 16 GB virtual plain HD split into dual 8 GB HPFS partitions. My next step is to install OS/2 File Sharing and create a *bootable* OS/2 V4 updated CD. (With UpdCD and File Sharing, this should indeed be possible, finessing Parallels not supporting burning CDs (or DVDs for that matter).)