Impossible to configure Parallels !!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dr.benouaiche, Feb 26, 2007.

1. dr.benouaiche

dr.benouaiche Bit poster

Hi,
    When I want to modify the settings of Parallels, I have to quit the Virtual Machine, and when I do that, the window of Parallels vanishes at once, so I cannot edit it.........
    I deleted the parallels Preferences file but it's still the same!
    What can I do?

I have the RC3

Thanks for your help

Gilbert

2. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

Just shut down windows. Don't quit anything.

3. dr.benouaiche

dr.benouaiche Bit poster

It doesn't work

Yes, that's what I said: Parallels quits anyway: if I quit VM or Windows, it's exactly the same.
    I have to add, that when I installed Parallels, it was ok during 2 or 3 times and after the window of Parallels quits whatever I quit (VM or Windows) :eek: :eek:

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

so you have your vm to auto start ?

open the ~/Library/Parallels/whatever/whatever.pvs file in a text editor and changing the following lines to be as shown:

Start auto = 0
    AutoShutdown = 0

5. dr.benouaiche

dr.benouaiche Bit poster

Yes, I opened ~/Documents/Parallels/****.pvs and the 2 items where already at 0. I'm sure there is a bug somewhere but where??????
    anyway, thks a lot for your help
    Gilbert

6. DougO

DougO Junior Member

Try to open parallels without a VM selected. That is, do not double-click on a .pvs (or alias to it). Open the parallels app directly. A selection of your VMs should appear. Then, select the VM of interest. For me, the VM does not autorun. You can then edit the configuration. Shutting down works fine as well using this method.

7. tharmar

tharmar Bit poster

I think this is another instance of the problem I posted a while back and still have not solved:

8. dr.benouaiche

dr.benouaiche Bit poster

Great, great.......youpeeee, it works! thks A LOT
    Gilbert

9. Al_Q

Al_Q Member

Parallels does not find my VMs either

A selection of my VMs should appear, but it does not. If I start Parallels without a VM selected, I get the OS Installation Assistant; Parallels does not find any of my VMs including the Boot Camp one that is always visible. If I exit from the installation assistant, Parallels quits.

I can start any VM by double clicking its .pvs file, but I can't edit its settings while it is running. When I shut down Windows or Linux, Parallels quits. I've looked in the .pvs files and both auto startup and auto shutdown are already set to zero.

I have been stuck in this catch 22 situation since I first started using the new beta software to let me run my Boot Camp partition.

I can probably guess how to fix some of my configuration issues by editing the .pvs file in a text editor, but that should not be necessary.

10. tharmar

tharmar Bit poster

Still no solution...and no useful help from parallels