In Windows 7, the Coherence mode Task Bar bug reappears

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dylanharris, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dylanharris

dylanharris Member

Windows 7 seems to be running happily EXCEPT the old bug where Coherence screws up the Windows task bar has reappeared. I've seen this bug in XP and Vista before now, so it's not a new problem.

I'm running Parallels 4.0.3844 under OS X 10.5.8 on the first model of the 24" iMac.

I've installed the released MSDN edition of Windows 7 Ultimate in Parallels as a virtual machine, not in Boot Camp. During the initial Parallels Virtual Machine configuration, I changed the default settings to run as Windows 7 (experimental), to Optimise performance for the Mac, to turn off both default sharing options, & have no icon on the desktop. During 7 installation, I changed the default settings to run a UK keyboard and UK settings (even though I'm in Ireland), and installed a Custom installation with default settings (except for the machine name). Once it was running, I installed Parallels tools, then the waiting 7 updates.

I installed 7, ran it up. Once Parallels Tools were installed, it defaulted to Coherence mode, with no task bar. When I switch to Windowed mode, the task bar is there, so it's not a 7 problem. I shut 7 down, fixed the Coherence settings to leave the task bar untouched. Yet, when I restart 7, and go into Coherence mode, the task bar is missing. The Coherence mode settings don't work.

I have not made any changes to the default position and appearence of the task bar in 7 itself.

If I press Control-Escape when running 7 in Coherence mode, the Start Menu appears wrongly at the top of the screen, but the task bar remains absent. I wonder whether the Coherence task bar code has confused the position of the task bar, that it believes it is at the bottom of the windows screen, where it should be, but wrongly moved it to the top when switching to Coherence mode?

I deleted the broken installation, and reinstalled 7 by setting up the Parallels virtual environment as above, then going to the configuration settings and specifically saying to Coherence that it should leave the Task Bar untouched, then booting up Windows installation and continuing as before. This made no difference, Coherence still screwed up the task bar. It seems to ignore the settings to tell it to ignore the task bar.

I realise Parallels Windows 7 support is not all there yet. I do ask that Parallels fix this bug, though.