Increase ubuntu disk size

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JohannesW2, Oct 31, 2022.

1. JohannesW2

JohannesW2 Bit poster

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and doing some stuff with Yocto - the 64 GB of Hard Disk space that comes as standard is not enough. I increased it to 128 GB in the Parallels software on my Mac but this did not automatically update the space on Ubuntu.

I did a search and found a bunch of very old posts with the same issue with no easy solution - I'm hoping there is perhaps some easier way to get this fixed more than a decade later.

2. Manduul

Manduul Bit poster

Have you found a solution? I'm running Ubuntu 22 arm on Parallels, and can't seem to find a solution.

3. ParallelsU1160

ParallelsU1160 Bit poster

This issue have nothing to with Parallels.
    After resizing from 64Gb to 128 Gb you can confirm this by running the following command:

parallels@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO. TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 128G 0 disk
    └─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part /boot/efi
    └─sda2 8:2 0 62.9G 0 part /

As you can see above the physical disk has been properly resized by Parallels to 128Gb, but that does not mean that the existing partitions on that disk has been automatically resized as well.
    After disk resizing you need to use a partition tool, such as fdisk, or parted, to change the size of the partition where your file system is residing e.g /dev/sda2 in this case

4. ParallelsU1160

You can also see and perform resizing via GUI Disks utility. See attached screenshots for details.

Attached Files:

5. ParallelsU1160

See screenshots for details.

Attached Files: