Install 3188 over 3186 - broken pipe

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by roadkill_97006, Mar 14, 2007.

1. roadkill_97006

roadkill_97006 Junior Member

I just upgraded to 10.4 and did it with 3186 installed on my Mac Pro. I then discovered 3188 was out (I WISH they'd clue us in on stuff like that), downloaded it and attempted to install it over 3186. I tried this twice, separate downloads, and got a "The following disk images failed to mount - broken pipe" message. What the heck is that? How do I fix it? I'm familiar with pipes in the script sense, but don't understand this.

Jim

2. swaltner

swaltner Bit poster

Opening 3188 Install Image

Compare the filesize of the file you downloaded to the filesize that you are supposed to get (57.4 Mb according to the download page). Frequently errors like that are related to parial file downloads.

Steve

3. roadkill_97006

That's why I downloaded it twice. And I got the same size download both times. Also, both showed 57,4MB, as does the web site.

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

the auto update of 3186 does not find 3188 so I am not updating yet

probably a very minor fix
    so leave it alone unless told to update by support :D

Hugh W

5. roadkill_97006

Now I get an offer to download the update to 3188 whenever I bring up the VM. It downloads, offers to install it and then dies with the same broken pipe message. It'd be ever so helpful if they'd put in some clue as to just what's actually screwed up and it'd be really nice if Parallels would pitch in with a fix or hint.

I've seen very few support responses here. My one attempt at securing support through their site was totally ignored. Frankly, I'm not real impressed. The product shows real promise but the "support" seems to suck. My previous experience with VMWare was a while ago but good. I'm beginning to wonder if I blew my $$ on the wrong product.