install macOS 10.7.5 from bootable external to virtual machine?

HughD

Bit poster
I have just installed Parallels 11 on a Mac running OS10.10.5. I would like to install system 10.7.5, applications and files from a bootable external drive to the Parallels virtual machine. I do not understand the procedure called out on the Parallels support web site.

Is there a way to use Migration Assistant?
Do I need to make a Time Machine back up of the bootable external and use that?
How do I proceed?

Thanks
 
Hi HughD, If you are trying to install Mac OS X 10.7.5 as a guest OS X in Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac, you may install it from a USB drive using the Parallels Wizard and selecting "Install from a DVD or image file", then selecting "Choose an image file" > selecting the USB drive that has Lion (10.7.5) on it. Please follow the below steps:

1. Insert Apple USB stick with Lion into your Mac.
2.Start Parallels Desktop
3. Open Parallels Wizard using File -> New
4. Select "Install Windows from DVD or image file". Press Continue.
5. Select Install from: "Your disk name". Press Continue.
6. Select Mac OS X operating system type. Press OK.
7. Continue
8. Install Mac OS X according to instructions in wizard. Refer to this article.
9. Install Parallels tools into virtual machine using Actions (on the Mac menu bar) -> Install Parallels Tools.
 
Hi Arun,

So far I can't get this procedure to work; is it for something else? I am hoping to get the contents of the bootable external, not an OS installer thumb drive , to run on Parallels.

I have one piece of software that needs to run under 10.7.5. Right now I reboot my laptop from an external to run it, but that is very cumbersome. I want to install the whole diskor at least the application on to Parallels,. The sequence above does not seem to give me that option. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

Hugh
 
Hi,
Do you have 10.7.5 recovery on external drive? as far as I know Parallels Desktop should be able to show you a list of recovery partitions and give you an option to choose from which one you want to install OS X when choosing appropriate option in New VM wizard.
the best way will be to find OS X 10.7 app and install it using regular way.

Parallels Desktop doesn't support installing OS X from bootable USB OS X installation drives
 
Hi Marat,
Would this be your recommended sequence?
a) do a time machine backup of my existing bootable disk
b) locate an install disk for 10.7.5 and follow the "locate DVD or image file" sequence per Arun above and Parallels knowledge base
c) install applications and files from time machine back up of old bootable hard disk to Parallels using the option for time machine back up
Thanks for your help--Parallels sales told me I could just plug in the bootable drive and install
Hugh
 
Hi Hugh,
I'm not really sure that after restoring Time Machine backup in VM it will be usable (supporting 2.5 years Parallels Desktop I don't remember that we've ever tested this or customers tried to do this). Time Machine backup will replace system files as well. I expect Parallels to make some tricks and changes to system files when installing OS X. But technically it should be possible.
Probably it will be easier to make a clean installation of OS X 10.7.5, install apps and copy their data.
 
Back
Top