I'm using a MacBook Pro 13". Running Snow Leopard, latest edition. Running Parallels latest edition. 4gig of RAM. Parallels on Auto had 3 gig available. Windows was set to 512MB. 320gig internal drive, with 150+gig free. About the same size external FW400 TimeMachine external drive.
Been using this computer for only one week.
My #1 client wanted me to have Windows for web tests. I bought Parallels. They installed Windows XP Pro yesterday. Without, I believe, any of the service packs. All ran fine. Then Windows told me there were recommended updates. Then Office told me that Service Pack 2 was needed to run it. OK, I thought, let's do it.
Windows suggested and I installed something with a name like Microsoft Update. That looked at my Windows and suggested Service Pack 2. Go ahead, I clicked.
The first install failed with a message of approximately "memory 0000000XXX not found". Windows still worked. Tried again. That try failed with a message that data was not valid. And that Windows might be damaged. It was.Trying to start Windows results in a loop of try, fail, try, fail, etc.
I will now open TimeMachine Help for the first time. See if I can take Parallels back to a time when Windows worked. (The option in Parallels to exclude from TimeMachine is NOT selected.)
But whether TimeMachine gives me Windows back, or whether I have to wait until next week when my client's shop can reinstall Windows XP Pro, I decided I needed to ask here IF and HOW Windows can be upgraded to the latest or best-for-Parallels version of XP.
Thank you.
Been using this computer for only one week.
My #1 client wanted me to have Windows for web tests. I bought Parallels. They installed Windows XP Pro yesterday. Without, I believe, any of the service packs. All ran fine. Then Windows told me there were recommended updates. Then Office told me that Service Pack 2 was needed to run it. OK, I thought, let's do it.
Windows suggested and I installed something with a name like Microsoft Update. That looked at my Windows and suggested Service Pack 2. Go ahead, I clicked.
The first install failed with a message of approximately "memory 0000000XXX not found". Windows still worked. Tried again. That try failed with a message that data was not valid. And that Windows might be damaged. It was.Trying to start Windows results in a loop of try, fail, try, fail, etc.
I will now open TimeMachine Help for the first time. See if I can take Parallels back to a time when Windows worked. (The option in Parallels to exclude from TimeMachine is NOT selected.)
But whether TimeMachine gives me Windows back, or whether I have to wait until next week when my client's shop can reinstall Windows XP Pro, I decided I needed to ask here IF and HOW Windows can be upgraded to the latest or best-for-Parallels version of XP.
Thank you.