Install Windows for Parallels without disk

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bobbby, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bobbby

bobbby Bit poster

Hi, I have searched around a bit but haven't found anything - Can I install Windows for Parallels without the installation disk? I would be downloading windows from windows.com

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, you can. When prompted to select the source of installation point to the image file (probably is a file with the extension .iso). If you get an .exe file from the download you need access to a Windows machine to unpack the image file.

3. bobbby

bobbby Bit poster

Thanks, little confused about what to do if i get an .exe file. How do i access a windows machine to unpack the image file?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Ask a friend?

5. bobbby

bobbby Bit poster

right but what does unpack the image file mean?

6. strells

strells Product Expert

A .exe is a Windows application. You have to run it on a real PC (or a VM). It should expand out to the files needed for installing Windows.

Steve

7. ReeceJ

ReeceJ Bit poster

I just used a dumped version of my windows 7 disk. It's and iso file. When you choose what to install, you can pick install windows 7 off an iso file.

8. N.O.I.S

N.O.I.S Bit poster

Hello, i've the same problem.

I downloaded a .iso file with Windows XP. When i try to create a new virtuale machine i proceed with the installation and the serial number of windows. But when the virtual machine try to start, i see the BIOS that doesn't find any boot with windows. I can't understand how it's possible.
    Someone could help me?
    Thanks a lot.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

* In the first screen where it asks for the cd/dvd, select the image file (.iso) instead of the default cd/dvd reader.
    * If that still doesn't work, check the boot order in Configure>Hardware and put the cd/dvd first

So, in order for it to work there are two conditions, that the cd/dvd is pointing to the image file, and that the cd/dvd is first to boot.