Install Windows for Parallels without disk

bobbby

Bit poster
Hi, I have searched around a bit but haven't found anything - Can I install Windows for Parallels without the installation disk? I would be downloading windows from windows.com
 
Yes, you can. When prompted to select the source of installation point to the image file (probably is a file with the extension .iso). If you get an .exe file from the download you need access to a Windows machine to unpack the image file.
 
Thanks, little confused about what to do if i get an .exe file. How do i access a windows machine to unpack the image file?
 
A .exe is a Windows application. You have to run it on a real PC (or a VM). It should expand out to the files needed for installing Windows.

Steve
 
I just used a dumped version of my windows 7 disk. It's and iso file. When you choose what to install, you can pick install windows 7 off an iso file.
 
Hello, i've the same problem.

I downloaded a .iso file with Windows XP. When i try to create a new virtuale machine i proceed with the installation and the serial number of windows. But when the virtual machine try to start, i see the BIOS that doesn't find any boot with windows. I can't understand how it's possible.
Someone could help me?
Thanks a lot.
 
* In the first screen where it asks for the cd/dvd, select the image file (.iso) instead of the default cd/dvd reader.
* If that still doesn't work, check the boot order in Configure>Hardware and put the cd/dvd first

So, in order for it to work there are two conditions, that the cd/dvd is pointing to the image file, and that the cd/dvd is first to boot.
 
Back
Top