Installation Trouble, please help!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by KaoKoKung, Jun 2, 2007.

1. KaoKoKung

KaoKoKung Bit poster

I cannot for the life of me get Windows XP to install properly. Parallels installed fine. I run the Express installation, and put in the serial number. I can get to the point where the installation guide tells me to put in the Windows XP installation disc, and it says it is loading Windows, but then the screen says something about "An error has occurred" and the screen turns back around to the configuration page before I can read what it says. I've tried uninstalling Parallels and installing it again several times, and it's just not working. I'm on a MacBook Pro and I just bought Windows XP Home Edition for this purpose; it's never been used before. PLEASE help. Is there something in the configuration page I need to change? I've tried opening a new file from the task bar, too. I just can't get it to work. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

I'm on a MacBook Pro and I just bought Windows XP Home Edition for this purpose; it's never been used before.

Just make sure the copy of xp is not JUST the sp 2 up date.

3. KaoKoKung

KaoKoKung Bit poster

Yes, I was aware of that, and it isn't just the update.

4. starant

starant Bit poster

I've got the same problem. Did you find a fix? starant@comcast.net.

Typical of this company. Every update I've ever tried to install from them has caused a system failure. No company support.

5. KaoKoKung

KaoKoKung Bit poster

I don't live near an Apple store, but I'm going to one this week. I think I'm going to take along my Pro and ask someone at the store. I know it's not technically a Mac issue, but they're usually really helpful so hopefully I can get some good advice. I'll let you know if anything turns up. I've been looking forward to being able to run this program for a while now, and I'm a little pissed that I've had it for two weeks now and still don't have it running.

6. starant

starant Bit poster

I've tried calling Apple--they're no help. They view this as a third party software problem. Sympathetic, but useless. This is especially aggravating since the supposed beauty of the new Intel Macs is that they supposedly run PC software. I moved forward with Mac because it was able to run PC soft in a window on my screen (I have software that really must run on a PC). Only problem is that Apple's primary software supplier (parallels) is a nightmare that only I thought only Microsoft could create. I was wrong. By the way, I'm in the process of reinstalling an older version of Parallels from my trash bin, reinstalling the XP operating system, and then reloading all my sofware. There was at least 1 data file which existed in the Microsoft folder; since I can't get that original XP folder open, I've also experienced a pretty massive data loss. This is hardly the kind of solution to a problem that I envisioned when I got my Mac--for this kind of support and aggravation, I could have gotten Vista. Beware of parallels telephone support--I put the expense on my charge card and they NEVER called me back. I had to fight with Bank of America to get the credit back on my Visa. In summary: horribly flawed software, upgrades that crash the program, inadequate support online, no company emails to fix the problem, no telephone number for support, take money but don't call back. What a class act! :eek:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007