Installed Windows 10 under Admin user - but need to move to another user

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by James_Lavery, Nov 20, 2017.

1. James_Lavery

James_Lavery Bit poster

I'm setting up a new OS X machine, and have installed Parallels under the default Administrator user, and have also installed Windows 10.
    However, actually need to access the Windows 10 VM from a different account (the day-to-day account under which I will be accessing the VM).
    How can I transfer the VM to the user's account?
    Can I just copy the Windows 10.pvm file to the appropriate user's Parallels folder? I haven't installed any applications in the VM yet - it's currently a plain Windows 10 install.

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. James_Lavery

James_Lavery Bit poster

Thanks - that's the info I needed!

4. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

You're welcome. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. rossr1

rossr1 Bit poster

I am trying do do the same as above.
    However... I completed the steps in. http://kb.parallels.com/9303.
    I then opened the other user account.
    I can see the parallels icon
    Launched Parallels and the Windows 10 Installation Assistant Launches.
    I click install Windows 10.
    The installation starts but then the installation Assistant 'hangs' on a black screen with no info/text/display on it?

6. rossr1

rossr1 Bit poster

Problem solved ....
    ....I closed and logged out of the main user account and then launched the Installation Assistant on the other user.

Now it's working.

7. Hi rossr1. Nice to know that it works now. Please post again for any additional queries.

8. FabioL3

FabioL3 Bit poster

Hi Guys
    First, thanks for helping us users...

I have the same issue.
    My Parallels installed under my main user account is working just fine.
    But need the computer to be started by another person in the morning, and sure, don't want to share my admin password to them.
    So I created another standard user account in my Mac, that has permission to start the Mac, but Parallels don't appear for this new user...

Tried the KB article and the solutions there is much complicated.... But even before I started trying the Terminal commands, the Parallels in this new user account asked for installing the Windows again.

How the article never says anything about installing the Windows again I got surprised, but started the installation.
    Soon it asks a username and a password to start the Windows itself. I don't have it.
    When using in the main user account I just click and it opens, no password required...

What am I doing wrong ?
    Did I really need to install Windows again to share de VM ?

What user and password should I use to start the Windows ?

Thanks for helping !
    Need this for work.
    Fabio Leite