Installing Parallels on external drive?

jlm72

Bit poster
Hi, this is a very newbie question but so far I can't anything on it in here. I've been trying to install Windows vista via parallels on my external hard drive but I keep getting errors every time. It works fine when installing it on my main laptop drive. I'm just curious if it is possible to create a virtual machine on an external drive and if not why? It seems like this wouldn't be an issue but maybe I'm wrong....

Thank you in advance for any advice,
Jason
 
yes very much so

first use Mac formatted drives
the Mac OS 10* on Intel is in fact a very solid unix application or shell

Therefore avoid all this windows bootcamp partition nonsense if you possibly can - it was in unsupported beta 2 years ago - so luckily I ignored it when I returned to the Macintosh

Parallels Desktop for mac needs to be installed as an application in the usual way

When my MacBook Pro HD got a bit full
I cloned my VM to an external La Cie firewire 800 drive I got at the Apple store

and now I run the clones from external drives and have deleted the original ( I try to reclone weekly so if a VM gets broken I have an uptodate back up)

Use the PD Menu >> File >> Clone (or Delete) to manage your collection of VM

At the Genius bar in the Birmingham Bullring Apple store I was told you can also run the Mac OS from external disks

but I have not recently done that other from utility DVDs

way back on my old Macs I ran them from external scsi disks with various flavours of the OS

regards

Hugh W
 
Back
Top