Installing parallels tools on kali linux.......Error

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MuecahidA, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MuecahidA

MuecahidA Member

I applied the same steps as Parallels, and finally, after entering the ./install command, it gave the installation error.

Here is the log file:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit:1 http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling InRelease
    Reading package lists...
    Return code from apt-get update is 0
    2019-06-03T10:45:19-0400: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh --install gtools --logfile /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log [0]
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '12.2.1.41615'

Mon 03 Jun 2019 10:45:19 AM EDT
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    new version of parallels tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.19.0-kali5-amd64/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-amd64'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-amd64'
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.19.0-kali5-amd64/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-amd64'
    grep: /lib/modules/4.19.0-kali5-amd64/build/include/linux/completion.h: No such file or directory
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:38:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h: In function 'wait_for_completion_interruptible':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h:135:3: error: implicit declaration of function '__add_wait_queue_tail'; did you mean '__add_wait_queue'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    __add_wait_queue_tail(&c->wait, &w);
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    __add_wait_queue
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h:137:8: error: implicit declaration of function 'signal_pending'; did you mean 'timer_pending'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    if (signal_pending(current)) {
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    timer_pending
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[5]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:309: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[4]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-common/Makefile:1539: _module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[3]: *** [Makefile:146: sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:8: all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-kali5-amd64'
    make[1]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/Makefile.v26:23: prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:35: installme] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2019-06-03T10:45:22-0400: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2019-06-03T10:45:22-0400: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2019-06-03T10:45:30-0400: Exiting with code 1

2. mbw

mbw Bit poster

Same issue. You ever get this figured out?

3. CommanderAngry

CommanderAngry Bit poster

Likely missing a header file. From the look of the first error message it could be linux/wait.h, the second one is likely linux/sched.h.
    To resolve the problem, you'll need to extract the parallels tools to a location in your VM that's writable and edit the kmod source code to add the required headers. I haven't seen this problem myself, but I just fixed a similar issue by following a couple different guides for installing Arch/Manjaro under Parallels. The guides I used are the following:
    Install Manjaro on Parallels 14
    Parallels Tools fix for Ubuntu 19.04
    Installing Arch Linux OS in Parallels
    Related, I should probably do a write-up on the procedure I just used and post it here. Anyone updating to later kernel versions will run into the same issue I had (incorrect return types for the vm fault functions in DRM). Feel free to ask questions if you're unfamiliar with how to do any of this. Hope this helps.

-CA

4. MuecahidA

MuecahidA Member

yeah, the solution is update parallels. I understand that some paralells version support some linux headers. If headers are updated, you must update(upgrade) your parallels version. For example, if you are using parallels 12, and you update your linux headers which are 4.19..... etc. version of 12 does not support that headers. If you upgrade your parallels release (in today 14), you can install tool on linux.... so i upgraded my version paralells to 14, i installed tools on linux...