Installing Parallels with XP from Virtual PC

Kenmorehead

Junior Member
I have put the CD in from an unused copy of Virtual PC for the Mac (for a G-4 mac 2 years old). Parallels isn't accessing this copy of XP. It's just giving me the color ball whenever I put the cursor over the Microsoft Windows XP -Parallels Desktop window. What should I do from here?
Thanks
 
Try to create ISO image and use steps to install from CD
to create ISO
1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Fire up a Terminal, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
Writability:
Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command:

$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
Disk /dev/disk1 unmounted

4. Create the ISO file with the dd utility (may take some time):

$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

5. Test the ISO image by mounting the new file (or open with Finder):

$ hdid file.iso

To setup from iso use custom install as described in Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from http://www.parallels.com/en/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf on page 67 and specify iso image on step 11
 
Thanks John. I appreciate your help. I finally just bought another new copy of Windows XP Home, but it won't install either. I get to the screen just before where it asks me to "Specify a name for the virtual machine" after clicking on "NEXT" after entering the Windows Product Key, Name and Organization, and I insert the CD, and I get the ball circling around indefinitely. I've uninstalled several times and tried it again carefully following the Quick Start guide but no luck. Any ideas? I'm stumped. The installation should be a piece of cake but it's not turning out that way.
 
John, sorry. Not THAT tech savvy. "Fire up a terminal." Don't know what this means. Entering commands- where? Sorry, if I had someone on the phone this should be easy. So far it's been closing in on 5 hours and I'm not any closer that I was yesterday. Is there someone during the week with whom I can speak? It's basic installation - I'd prefer to not have to pay for this kind of support given that the directions that come with the software don't describe the installation process that's occurring here. Again, thanks for your help.
Ken
 
Hi John, Thanks for the clarification. I'm just leaving for a meeting. Humbly, I may have to go to the genius bar to be sure how to implement your suggestions in Terminal. I don't know what I can cut and paste from your directions and when to "return," etc. Sorry to be so slow. I'll check with the apple store on Monday - I have a time set with them for 2 PM EST. If further questions arise I'll let you know AND I'll let you know when it's up and running. Thank you for your direction. I'll keep you posted.
Ken
 
Back
Top