Installing Tools in Ubuntu 10.4 Guest

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JayR, May 3, 2010.

1. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

1.7.6 is a supported version of X server. Maybe you need Parallels 5.0.9370. Check your Parallels Tools disk. Mount the iso that is located at /Library/Parallels/prl-tools-lin.iso. Then copy the files prltools.tar.gz and prltools.x64.tar.gz that are located at /Volumes/Parallels Tools/tools/ to a folder on your desktop then uncompress them. They should both contain the same set of folders and aliases. My version of Parallels Tools includes the following:
    Code:
    bin
    lib
    sbin
    xorg.1.2
    xorg.1.3
    xorg.1.4
    xorg.1.4.99
    xorg.1.5
    xorg.1.6
    xorg.1.7
    xorg.6.7
    xorg.6.8
    xorg.6.8.99
    xorg.6.9
    xorg.7.0
    xorg.7.1
    xorg.7.1.99
    xorg.7.2
    xorg.7.3
    xorg.7.4
    xorg.7.5

xorg.1.7 is an alias to xorg.7.5.

2. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

The above works for me with one exception: #6 should read

6) Type cd "Parallels\ Tools" (The quotes have been added).

The backslash (\) indicates that the spacebar tap that follows is really a space character in the name of the directory. If you omit the \, then Linus thinks you want to change to a directory called "Parallels." There is no such directory and the terminal indicates so.

3. Miguel Prada

Miguel Prada Bit poster

I'm having the same issues here.

Parallels Tools installation seems to go fine, and after that mouse transition works fine. However, I still have problems with dynamic resolution adjustment if I try to resize the window beyond 1024x768 (which includes going fullscreen). I guess there must be some maximum resolution configured somewhere, but I just cannot seem to find it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I already found the issue I was having. The VM machine hardware configuration was only assigning 3MB of video memory. I raised this value to a more appropriate 128MB and now it works fine.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. David Cavalcante

David Cavalcante Bit poster

5. RandelM

RandelM Bit poster

Ubuntu low screen resolution

I had also problem with Ubuntu 10.4LTS regarding maximum screen resolution 1024x768. For me worked increasing guest os video memory. Virtual Machine->Configure->Hardware->Video. Default was 2MB, try some bigger value there, depending on your expected screen resolution. (Do changes value, Guest OS should be turned off).

6. absolut_michael

absolut_michael Bit poster

I had the same problem using Centos.. the problem was that the scripts inside had no execution rights.
    In another thread I found a solution using "mount -o exec /dev/cdrom1" or in my case copying the whole directory to the hdd and manually give "install" and "installer/installer.x86_32" the execution rights with "chmod +x".
    Then it worked :)

greets m

7. JayR

JayR Junior Member

In the meantime, I have found an easier way to install the tools. As the Parallels Tools folder shows up on the Ubuntu desktop, just open it and drag the install.sh file into an open terminal window, and add "sudo" in front of the line that is created, being careful not to delete the apostrophes, and after you enter the su password, you're off and running. This method saves you the chore of typing in the path where the install file is located.

8. RobGTX

RobGTX Bit poster

Parallels tools in Ubuntu 11.4

I seem to have the same issue:

Tue May 31 17:16:14 PDT 2011
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    see include/linux/module.h for more information
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:972:2: error: unknown field ‘ioctl’ specified in initializer
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:972:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    make[3]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make[1]: *** [prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2011-05-31T17:16:15-0700: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2011-05-31T17:16:15-0700: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.

9. CareyH

CareyH Bit poster

You may have to allow Ubuntu to update some libraries...

I noticed when I tried to install the Parallels Tools set my install of "Mint" needed to update some installed libraries before I was successful in completing the "upgrade".

~CP Hendsbee

Mint 10 on Mac OSX 10.6.7 on MacBookPro mid 2009.