Installing Virtual PC to run IE6 & IE7

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by eggertq, Mar 17, 2008.

1. eggertq

eggertq Bit poster

I use Parallels on my Mac to check CSS for my web designs in IE (Windows). I recently upgraded my IE browser to 7 and lost IE6 in the process. A Windows-user friend of mine suggested installing Virtual PC and pointed me to a disk image of IE6 that I could run on the virtual machine. After installing, when I try to launch Virtual PC, I get an error saying that my processor is too old to run VPC.

Since I'm running this on a Mac with Core Duo, I think the error is incorrect. Does anyone know what the real problem is? Can Virtual PC run in a Parallels environment? Is there another way for me to use Parallels so that I can view my websites in both IE6 & IE7?

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

You could just create 2 VM one with windows and ie6 and one with windows and IE7. Of course you used parallel transporter to transform the virtual pc session to a parallel session.

Then you have to do a repair windows since the VirtualPC VM is different then the Parallel VM and this is equivalent to moving your physical windows installation to a new machine.

Windows needs to be reconfigured for the new hardware.So try attaching your windows CD and doing a repair.

3. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

You're unlikely to have much luck running one virtualization program (Virtual PC) inside another (Parallels) and there isn't much point when Parallels will let you run multiple virtual machines side-by-side. The previous poster seemed to be making sensible suggestions.

For testing under IE6, I use a Parallels VM running Windows 2000 - its good enough for checking websites, doesn't need as much resources as an XP or Vista install and doesn't have software activation hassles.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Good idea using W2K for an ie6 , since it uses less memory and hard disk drive just to make some testing.

I'll have to remember that if I need to test my apps with ie6.

Thanks for the tip.

5. eggertq

eggertq Bit poster

So what's next?

So how do you "run multiple virtual machines side-by-side" in Parallels? Can someone send me a link to instructions?

I want to run Windows 2000 so that I can use IE6 on my second virtual machine, but how do I install it? It seems like when I installed Parallels the first time with XP it was all bundled and easy. Any hints?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can start second VM, by clicking configuration file for VM

7. eggertq

eggertq Bit poster

I know how to start my current Virtual machine, I need to know how to install a second VM with a different Windows OS. See previous comments in this thread.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Start Parallels Desktop holding Command key - either click new, or menu File - New