Installing WIN98 on a Mac (cd drive doesn't read)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CrimsonStrider, Jun 21, 2007.

1. CrimsonStrider

CrimsonStrider Junior Member

I'm really ready to return my MacBook Pro because of this. I can't get any help or support and for some reason my topics keep getting moved or deleted.

I installed WIN98. During the installation it starts asking my for my CD-ROm to be inserted into the CD-ROM drive for .dlls and a few other things to be installed. For some reason it can read the CD at the start but at the end it can't. If I skip all of the things I can get to my desktop but when I look at my computer there's no CD-ROM drive.

Now I need to install Win 98 because so that I can use my XP upgrade disc.

Basically this is what I need to know

1) Can I upgrade 98 ---> XP with paralles using a OEM win 98 that I bought off of ebay, and a XP CD ROm

2) How do I get my Win98 VM to use my CD-ROM Drive? Because it's not working

I need help ASAP because if I can't get this to work I need to return my laptop before the 30 days is over.

2. Harold M

Harold M Bit poster

Win 98 Installation

I had similar problems installing Win 98. My workaround was to add a second CD-ROM drive and then remove the first one (or leave the first one in non-working condition - but that was confusing).
    Also had a similar problem installing Win 2000. The workaround there was to get the installer to load all necessary files before restarting. I found the instructions for doing the buried somewhere on the Win 2000 install disk. (Also found instructions on a Microsoft page somewhere, but they were wrong!)
    Have had no problems upgrading a Win 98 system to XP SP2 under Parallels 1 or 2.
    I do, however, have a continuing problem with Win 98 under Parallels 2: it crashes on shut-down, consistently. Even a 'virgin' Win 98 system does this. And it does not matter if I install Win 98 under Parallels 1 and then upgrade to 2, or install directly under Parallels 2. I can use it, nevertheless, but it always wants to (abnormally slowly - 20 minutes) check the disk at start-up. This check can be dismissed, fortunately, and no disk damage seems to have happened. Once Win 98 is up and running, the disk can be checked at normal speed.

3. CrimsonStrider

CrimsonStrider Junior Member

Actually I figured out what to do.

I guess I was using the hard approach. I solved the problem by using my XP upgrade CD then using my Windows 98 when it asked for a previous version. It said ok, put the XP CD back in and then everything worked =)

Hurrah!!

4. Harold M

Harold M Bit poster

Win98 Install/Upgrade

"I was using the hard approach. I solved the problem by using my XP upgrade CD then using my Windows 98 when it asked for a previous version. It said ok, put the XP CD back in and then everything worked =)"

I'm glad you achieved your goal! I still believe that perhaps older operating systems like Win 98 are not getting the testing and attention needed. I, unfortunately, have useful software that will not run on anything later than Win 98. I had similar problems trying to use multiple hard drives with Win 98, also. But that can be avoided by just using one!