Interact with applications or documents on client?

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by clipper, Aug 31, 2008.

1. clipper

clipper Guest

Like this:

Dim strPathRemoteNotepad As String
    Dim strPathRemoteTextFile As String
    Dim strCommand As String

strPathRemoteNotepad = "\\tsclient\c\windows\notepad.exe"
    strPathRemoteTextFile = "\\tsclient\c\test123.txt"
    strCommand = strPathRemoteNotepad & " " & strPathRemoteTextFile
    If Shell(strCommand, vbNormalFocus) Then
    ' app started successfully
    Else
    MsgBox "Startup of remote notepad failed: please contact the database admin.", vbCritical
    End If

2. zippo

zippo Pro

Hi Clipper,

that does not make much sense.
    you should replace the "\\tsclient\c\windows\notepad.exe" with the local version of notepad.
    You are running the application over a network link which is why you are getting the delays and access the document ONLY from the remote system.

If your case the local is the server and the remote is the client.

3. clipper

clipper Guest

Maybe I've not made clear what I am looking for.

I want the user to be able to invoke a program on the local workstation. So a user starts their 2x session; they click a button in the application; it starts a program on the user's local machine. The exe they're starting and the file it opens or creates is on the client/workstation machine. So according to what I need, if the server does not need to have a copy of notepad.exe installed.

Of course this is not about notepad. The program that needs to open on the workstation handles voice recording, so it needs audio in and out, and is not well behaved in TS, so I can't run it on the server. But I do need to invoke that program from the 2x/TS hosted application.

4. clipper

clipper Guest

zippo, are you saying that I should simply call those paths using paths like "c:\windows\notepad.exe" and it'll open the workstation copy of notepad?

I thought tsclient moved the path over to the client side, so calling "\\tsclient\c\windows\notepad.exe" would invoke notepad on the client/workstation.

5. zippo

zippo Pro

yes if you want to run something on the server take the process from the server,why get it from the client? notepad is the same.

ionly transfer documents from client to server and it works fine for me.

stilli dont have a clear description of what you are doing