Internet Connection Dropping and Stalling Frequently When Waking Parallels/Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ScottS3, Jul 6, 2017.

1. ScottS3

ScottS3 Bit poster

I've bought a brand new expensive router. It didnt solve the problem. I bought a brand new expensive modem. It didnt solve the problem. Comcast always says that they see no problem. I've pretty much gotten rid of my virus software....

And I still am having problems connecting to the internet on all of my apple and windows devices (although weirdly, my new amazon fire tablet never seems to lose connection and my Rokus never do either...this problem has way predated all these other devices though).

I am wondering if there is something with Parallels that causes confusion in the identification of the IP addresses of my computers. Its a problem I haven't really explored, but I don't remember having this much trouble prior to 2014 when I bought my first mac pro and added parallels. Its probably not something caused by Parallels or Mac, but I am writing here JUST IN CASE there is a known issue with Parallels/Internet dropping that someone knows a solution for. I love my Mac and I love my parallels. But I am getting so tired of resetting the modem multiple times a day. (I no longer reset the router, because I found out the problem fixes by resetting the modem alone...but next time I turn off some of my devices, like my laptop, and come back to them later, I cant connect to the internet...I seem to always be connected to the wireless networks just fine. Just not the internet)

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @ScottS3. The fact that the issue occurs across multiple devices suggests that the problem might not be related to Parallels at all. To isolate the issue, you may simply remove Parallels Desktop application (this won't affect data inside the virtual machines) from the devices in question and check if this makes a difference.

3. FreidaE

FreidaE Bit poster

If you want to set up your in-home WiFi network, you'll need two pieces of networking equipment: a modem to bring the Internet into your home and a router to share the Internet with all your devices -tablets, mobile phones, computers, and so on. These two devices allows you to take benefit from all the Internet goodness like Snapchats and cat videos that make the web so appealing.

Normally, your ISP tells you what type of modem you need and offers one to rent or buy. If you are going to use one Internet service provider for more than a year, it's recommended to buy a modem as renting can cost you over time.

Choosing a modem is just half the battle, since it usually provides connection for a single device. To get a wireless connection, you need a router that is connected to your modem via an Ethernet cable and shares the internet with all devices via an extra Ethernet cable or a Wi-Fi network.

There are standard single-unit and whole-home routers that use multiple devices to make a mesh network for extending Wi-Fi signal. Single-unit routers are well-suited for smaller homes, providing a signal that covers every corner of your home. Or else, you can get a Wi-Fi extender to provide a reliable connection and expand coverage.

Whole-home routers are the best option for larger homes. Placed throughout your home, they provide reliable wireless coverage, without any dead zones and speed loss. Many networking and ISPs device makers offer multitasker devices that operate as both routers and modems. However, we recommend you to use a separate router and modem, as you can update your devices more frequently to get the fastest network and the newest routers.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to see your active participation here.