Internet Connectivity Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rebbuxton, Aug 10, 2006.

1. rebbuxton

rebbuxton Bit poster

I have been using parallels fine on my father-in-laws network then we moved and I set up my own high speed connection but now I cannot access the internet. I'm wondering if it has something to do with when I set up parallels it was on another internet connection and now that I have my own something didn't transfer or whatever the appropriate term would be. Any ides? Thank you.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Wired or wireless?
    Does the Mac connect to the net without Parallels?
    Bridged or host only?
    Do you have a router between your modem and computer?
    If wireless, what wireless access point are you using?
    Have you enabled DHCP?

It's hard to help you without knowing a lot about your setup.

3. dburr

dburr Junior Member

having a similar problem

I've got a similar problem. I set up Parallels at home, when connected to my wireless network. Everything works fine - both Mac and Parallels can get out onto the Internet. But if I move onto a different network - say, for example, the hotspot at the local Starbucks - things fall apart. The Mac can talk on the network fine (once I go through the starbucks login page), but the virtual machine doesn't even get as far as the login page - I get the dreaded "this page cannot be displayed" error.

So I decided to play around with the command line. I check my IP address with "ipconfig" and noticed that it still had the IP that my DHCp server at home assigned to it. So I did a release/renew cycle (ipconfig /release, followed by ipconfig /renew) to get a new IP address, and I am now assigned an IP address on the starbucks network. However, I still cannot open the login page, getting the same "this page cannot be displayed" error in IE.

Is there any way of getting this to work?

4. david dondero

david dondero Bit poster

I cannot conect to the internet in parallels but I can from mac. I have a hard wired modem, and the mac store was supposed to set up parallels for me, could somthing have been missed??? Please help......

5. rickgassko

rickgassko Bit poster

6. majortom

majortom Member

Same for me since 1862. No way to surf the web or exchange mails but pinging works :confused: